Is It Worth The Trouble Of Selling Cake Plates On Ebay?

Decorating By wendysue Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 5:41pm by wendysue

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:45am
post #1 of 12

I have a box of cake plates and pillars and think it would cost a bit of money to ship to anyone, so wonder if it's even worth placing them on eBay? Just don't know that anyone would be willing to pay the shipping charges. My hubbies getting tired of the box sitting in the garage!

Have any of you sold cake plates on eBay and if so was it worth the time and effort?

Wendy

11 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:50am
post #2 of 12

ya never know until you try...

and if the buyer really wants them ....he/she will pay the shipping.

(which just may be less than you think if you send it USPS snail service)

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:33am
post #3 of 12

What type of plates and pillars are they? I have purchased off of ebay before and am looking for the Hexagon plates but they have been discontinued.
The buyer pays the shipping so I would try.
Deana

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:57am
post #4 of 12

Well if you didn't want to sell them individually you could sell them in lots. People are more likely to pay the shipping for an auction with multiple items then for just one. You could probably list the whole box of stuff on one auction. I would go ahead and list them. You might just get lucky and sell them all. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 12

I sell on ebay....if you list the shipping charges up front, you are less likely to get complaints on how much the shipping costs. I never list anything without stating the flat shipping costs. (Get the rate sheet from UPS, Post Office, etc and charge the rate to ship to Alaska (or the furthest point from you)...that way you're covered no matter how far you need to ship).

I always view ebay as my clutter-cleaner. I don't list to actually make a lot of money .... I list to get the crap out of my way! (Although on some antique china pieces, I've made a lot of money!) thumbs_up.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 12

I buy stuff on ebay quite a bit. I always look at the shipping charges. I know that to get anything from there, I will pay for the shipping. If I were you, I'd go ahead and list them.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 12

I use to shop on ebay a lot until I started having problems with sellers. But I have always paid for shipping. Just list your shipping up front.

Good Luck

wendysue Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 12

The plates are all round, one set is a wedding cake set that isn't in production anymore... or at least I don't think it is. The set that's out of production is very heavy. Guess I can try huh? My husband would be grateful to have that space back! Maybe I'll let everyone know here when I list it, or I could mention it on my Cake blog.

I also have a box of character pans that my dad bought for me at a yard sale for $1 a piece. Part of me wants to hang on to them just in case I need one, but they too take up a lot of room. I think I'll just get rid of them!

Wendy

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 12

I too have been struggling with this issue, since cleaning out my photography studio last weekend to make way for cake sculptures.

I'm thinking the question should be is......

Do you want to earn a little extra money? Or do you want to just get rid of the plates? I just ended up getting rid of the stuff instead of hassling with it.

Edited to add - - - BTW Twindees, love your Trade Mark!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue

I also have a box of character pans that my dad bought for me at a yard sale for $1 a piece. Part of me wants to hang on to them just in case I need one, but they too take up a lot of room. I think I'll just get rid of them!

Wendy

I have all of my character pans hanging up on the wall in the stair way to my basement. Got them out of valuable cabinet space and I have a better idea of which ones I have. I use them more now that I can see them instead of digging through a box.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 12

darandon - LOVE that idea!

wendysue Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 12

That is a good idea. Don't think my hubby would go for it, but I've seen other people do this and it makes a lot of sense! One day when we have a larger house I'll have my own kitchen... with custom cabinets for pans.

Right now we don't even have a lot of wall space! lol Pretty cramped in our 1400 square foot home! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%