I'm Sorry....

Lounge By ccr03 Updated 20 Apr 2007 , 4:57pm by tazmycat

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:47am
post #1 of 25

But I'm in the middle of watching the Food Network Challenge, and I'm sorry to say that I am glad that Collette Peters is struggling. I've never been a huge, huge fan of hers, but her attitude, just gets on my nerves more than anything.

But I'm a dork - like I can even do any work like hers. =)

24 replies
cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:08am
post #2 of 25

Yeah but it's the attitude that is such a turn off.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:36am
post #3 of 25

I have met her and she is very gracious. I sat with her for a while and she was just like someone I knew all my life!

cakecrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumb Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:53am
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

But I'm in the middle of watching the Food Network Challenge, and I'm sorry to say that I am glad that is struggling. I've never been a huge, huge fan of hers, but her attitude, just gets on my nerves more than anything.

But I'm a dork - like I can even do any work like hers. =)

OMG - I am so glad someone else feels this way! I totally agree! I don't like her attitude. IMO, she was being disrespectful to her partner and it rubbed me the wrong way. Her partner's business sells 'choco-pan' chocolate fondant and all she did was put it down because SHE couldn't work with it. Her quote, "choco-pan or whatever it was".

IMO, the whole drama of the cake being too heavy to move and therefore disqualifying their team was such a cop-out. It almost softened the blow of the other 2 teams winning. This way, she can say, 'oh, well we were disqualified because our cake was too heavy so we couldn't have won anyway'.

Many of you may disagree, but I am just sharing my opinion. Don't hurt me.

icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 25

So funny how everyone sees things differently. I've never seen Colette Peters before or any cake challenge, so it was all new. First, I was pretty under-impressed with Colette's cake and even the TV base cake by Orlando - but especially Colette's cake as I've heard so much praise for her stuff here.

But, I didn't find her attitude bad or anything - I just thought they were underprepared for the challenge and it showed. They were struggling from the get-go because of being underprepared, but I didn't find her rude or disrespectful at all...

How we all take things differently I guess.

Melissa

ETA: Actually, I thought the "Second winners" showed an attitude problem with sharing first prize and they only jumped in to help Colette with the cake when she saw that they Orlando team jumped in to move the cake - kind of like "I don't want to look bad for not helping out" instead of, "I dont' want tthem to be disqualified because of this silly rule".

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 25

I've never noticed an attitude or anything when I've seen her on TV .... I'm just not a big fan of the Mad Hatter cake designs. Maybe because I'm older, but to me a wedding cake is an elegant centerpiece of a celebration of a marriage (not a wedding...... a MARRIAGE!), and to have a wedding cake that looks like it was "slapped" together all cock-eyed and crooked just doesn't seem "appropriate" to me.

But before you think I'm totally ignorant, I DO know that "slapped together" is not how these things are assembled......they take some talent and guts to put that design together. I'm just not a fan......

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:23am
post #7 of 25

indydebi:
I soooo agree with you. I have NEVER been a fan of the mad hatter cakes either. I've always felt it's an insult to cake decorators to have that leaning slapped together look that you speak of.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:01am
post #8 of 25

I don't think I have seen the episode that you are speaking of. But, I have seen her on a few challenges and always liked her personality. She seems like she likes to joke around and be silly.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 8:34am
post #9 of 25

I guess I missed that episode.

From what I've seen of her, she seems nice enough and I've only ever heard good things about her personality. I also think she seems like a good decorator. I wouldn't do her style of cake though. It's just not what I would do. As an analogy: I also don't like to listen to certain styles of music even though I know they're good quality in their genre.

I was rather disappointed in the first challenge I saw with her, Michelle Bomarino, Mike (Mike's Amazing Cakes), a woman with awesome gumpast flowers from England and another guy who, I think, was a pastry chef in Vegas (might be mistaken). The theme was the 4 seasons and she came in 1st. I really really wanted Mike to come in 1st. He chose to do something difficult and different. He did a great job on the gumpaste flowers and such. I guess that when I see these challenges, I'm looking for something out of the ordinary. Peters' cake was pretty and took alot of painting and a little carving but I didn't see the 4 seasons theme as much in it. Just my opinion.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake412

indydebi:
I soooo agree with you. I have NEVER been a fan of the mad hatter cakes either. I've always felt it's an insult to cake decorators to have that leaning slapped together look that you speak of.

I have laid low for a while just lurking here and there while some "stuff" settled, but I read this remark and I just couldn't NOT write something. Are you at all aware of how insulting this remark is? An insult to cake decorators? icon_confused.gif Which cake decorators, exactly, do you believe are insulted by this style of decorating?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 25

I've never really had a problem w/ CP, but I am really a MUCH bigger fan of Duff! icon_biggrin.gif

The only one that REALLY gets under my skin is that "Cake Diva" woman. My DH and I are 100% convinced she's a fraud (we think her employees do all the actual work and she just takes the credit). Whenever she's been in a contest she's been completely inept -- you could tell she didn't know what she was doing!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:28am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I've never really had a problem w/ CP, but I am really a MUCH bigger fan of Duff! icon_biggrin.gif

The only one that REALLY gets under my skin is that "Cake Diva" woman. My DH and I are 100% convinced she's a fraud (we think her employees do all the actual work and she just takes the credit). Whenever she's been in a contest she's been completely inept -- you could tell she didn't know what she was doing!

I've wondered about her also. I saw one where she made some kind of carousel thing and had no supports in it. It was falling apart and then she was in a gingerbread house one and didn't finish...I felt bad for her but hey, if you don't know how to do something, don't try doing it for a competition like that...unless you have some sort of backup plan?

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:05am
post #13 of 25

Before you go bashing Colette or the Food Network take a look at the following link. One of the contestents "mlsousa" talked in the forum about what really happened.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=213771&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=colette&&start=60

indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:15am
post #14 of 25

gails, that was a good read! thanks!

cakecrumb Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:31am
post #15 of 25

thank you for that link. it cleared some things up for me. i should have known that its all in the editing when it comes to shows like this.
the way they edited it definitely made colette look bad which is a shame.
i guess that's just the chance that these decorators take when they sign on to be 'in the spotlight' on these challenges.

colette is a well respected cake artist and my guess is that she's not going to let something like this affect her. i'm sure she's too busy to care. LOL

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:47pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Quote:

indydebi:

I have laid low for a while just lurking here and there while some "stuff" settled, but I read this remark and I just couldn't NOT write something. Are you at all aware of how insulting this remark is? An insult to cake decorators? icon_confused.gif Which cake decorators, exactly, do you believe are insulted by this style of decorating?

I so agree with you adven68.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 11:33pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:

Quote:

indydebi:

Not that I'm trying to get indydebi in trouble here, but you (adven6icon_cool.gif took offense to my comment? I live in the United States of America and the last time I checked it's still a free country and I do have the right to like or dislike something and express my opinion.

adven68 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 1:17pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

indydebi:

Not that I'm trying to get indydebi in trouble here, but you (adven6icon_cool.gif took offense to my comment? I live in the United States of America and the last time I checked it's still a free country and I do have the right to like or dislike something and express my opinion.

You certainly may have your opinion. Expressions of opinions come with a certian level of responsibility (perfect example - Mr. Imus).... Of course I took offense to Indydebi's remark, as, I, also have the right to do.
She didn't merely say that she didn't like the mad-hatter style. I couldn't really care less about what anyone likes or dislikes, but...she went above and beyond to say how that style is an insult to cake decorators. Therefore, she said MY style is insulting. (not only to her, but to everyone)
I think that if you take a poll, you'll see that not only is NOT insulting....but most decorators strive to achieve this style.
Voice your opinion, by all means....but don't tell me what all cake decorators are feeling (unless, of course, you have interviewed each and every one of them)

cakecrumb Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 1:47pm
post #19 of 25

everyone has a right to their opinion. the problems start when people take things personally that weren't meant that way.

you should be proud of your style but also know that not everyone has the same taste. thats what makes the world go around, right? thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 1:51pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:

Of course I took offense to Indydebi's remark, as, I, also have the right to do.
She didn't merely say that she didn't like the mad-hatter style. I couldn't really care less about what anyone likes or dislikes, but...she went above and beyond to say how that style is an insult to cake decorators. Therefore, she said MY style is insulting. (not only to her, but to everyone)

Just for the record, *I* didn't say the style was an insult. Below is my post. Please notice that I recognized the talent it takes to assemble one of these cakes. I think people who make those cakes have real "guts", referring to the assembly process of creating a cake that looks like it leans yet is nice and sturdy .... I just stated that I'm not a fan of the style. Some people don't like crisco buttercream .... some people don't like fondant ..... some people don't like to do sheet cakes ...... I am not a fan of the mad hatter style. That's all I was saying. icon_confused.gif

Please .... disagree with anything I say at any time .... I only ask that you quote me correctly when you do. thumbs_up.gif

I certainly didn't intend for my comments to start such a negative back-n-forth here in regards to anyone's style or skill, and if they were taken as such, then I apologize for miswording my comments so they weren't clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've never noticed an attitude or anything when I've seen her on TV .... I'm just not a big fan of the Mad Hatter cake designs. Maybe because I'm older, but to me a wedding cake is an elegant centerpiece of a celebration of a marriage (not a wedding...... a MARRIAGE!), and to have a wedding cake that looks like it was "slapped" together all -eyed and crooked just doesn't seem "appropriate" to me.

But before you think I'm totally ignorant, I DO know that "slapped together" is not how these things are assembled......they take some talent and guts to put that design together. I'm just not a fan......

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 1:55pm
post #21 of 25

Good morning icon_biggrin.gif

Happy belated Friday the 13th icon_lol.gif

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, their likes and dislikes, can we please express them in a way where everyone can say what they feel without hurting each other icon_wink.gif .

Please remember that we have teenage decorators browsing the forums so as adults, we need to set good examples for them...after all, they are our next generation of cake decorators icon_biggrin.gif

So on this note, I'm wishing everyone a very safe and happy weekend thumbs_up.gif

cakecrumb Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 2:07pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, their likes and dislikes, can we please express them in a way where everyone can say what they feel without intentionally hurting each other icon_wink.gif .

with all due respect, i don't believe the comment was meant to intentionally hurt anyone else.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 2:31pm
post #23 of 25

Hi cakecrumb,

I am referring to all threads and posts not just this one icon_smile.gif .

Thanks so much for the kind response icon_biggrin.gif

**edited to thank cakecrumb for bringing one word to my attention in my post which I did remove icon_biggrin.gif

adven68 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 2:49pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:

indydebi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Just for the record, *I* didn't say the style was an insult..

Yes, Indy....I realize now tht I misread the comment....it came from shortcake412, not you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecrumb

everyone has a right to their opinion. the problems start when people take things personally that weren't meant that way. .

Cakecrumb....I took no offense to the opinion....I took offense to the generalization that it is an insult to cake-decorators. And I certainly will take it personally when, in fact, that is my style of decorating. How else would I take it?

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:57pm
post #25 of 25

Gosh, I have been putting my 3 cents worth in a lot today. I have to say I love the mad hatter style. I think they are really cute, especially for a child's birthday. I wish I were good enough to make one. I don't know if I would like it for a wedding cake, but styles have changed so much in the past few years that if that's what you want, hey, go for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%