Converting Recipes

Decorating By sweetpea333 Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 1:17am by redred

sweetpea333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea333 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 8

i saw a post somewhere about converting American recipes to use in Australia...I cant find it now icon_cry.gif
Would anyone know where it is or how its done?

thankyou

7 replies
torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 8

sorry can't help with the post. Did you try a search using "conversions"?

But I use U.S. recipes all the time. I use www.onlineconversion.com if I need to. I think a U.S cup is larger than Aussie cup, but if a U.S. recipe asks for a cup measurement I just use an Aussie cup and never had a prob. As for some of their ingredients you can't get here I have worked out some of the equivelents. icon_biggrin.gif

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 8

I believe a US cup is 225ml whereas Oz cup is 250ml.
Their Tablespoons are approx 15ml whereas Oz is 20ml.
1 stick butter = 113g

sweetpea333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea333 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 8

thankyou so much for that information.

I've got a few US cake decorating books,and have tried a few recipes from them but they never turn out right... I usually always have to throw them away. I know that I can use box cakes but sometimes I like to do a recipe for something different.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea333

thankyou so much for that information.

I've got a few US cake decorating books,and have tried a few recipes from them but they never turn out right... I usually always have to throw them away. I know that I can use box cakes but sometimes I like to do a recipe for something different.

It's funny, I'm in the States and I've had the same problem with "overseas" recipes! icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

redred Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:29am
post #6 of 8

On Rose Levy Berenbaum's site she said when preparing her Cake Bible for UK release she tested her recipes with UK ingredients and they didn't turn out properly. She attributed it to the type of flour - there is no cake flour in UK. So even the professionals have difficulties!

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:36am
post #7 of 8

We emigrated from the UK last year to Canada, and I had to re-learn how to make cakes completely! I tried making a cake in Canada, using a UK cake recipe, and it ended up like cardboard! My children just ended up licking the icing off of it!!!

In the UK there is self raising flour which is generally used for cake making. There isn't separate flours for cakes, pastries, bread etc.

Plus you have to consider altitute etc etc! I've had a huge learning curve in baking since we've been here!

redred Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:17am
post #8 of 8

SCS, I know exactly what you mean! When I moved from UK back to Sydney I had to re-learn bread completely. Bread in UK that was feather light was a dense brick in Australia. I looked up everything - type of flour, level of amylase enzyme, hardness of water. It was a real pain! I think I just concluded that UK bread flour is better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%