Need A Recipe For Egg/soy/nut Free White/yellow Cake

Decorating By tomsmom245 Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 2:31am by MommyEdzards

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 6

A lady at our church has two young children with egg/soy/nut allergies and has asked if I can make their birthday cakes. She isn't sure if they are allergic to chocolate so I was hoping to find a white or yellow cake recipe.

I have a chocolate one but would love to get any recipes that I could share with her and the little ones!

Thanks!
Ashlee

5 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 6

here you go! i have a great recipe at home, but im not home right now so i looked these up on the internet. haven't tried them, but they look like they'll work fine. when i get home i can look up the one i've used before.

heres a white cake recipe, just make sure all of your store bought ingredients don't have soy in them:

White Cake
Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 1/2 cups white unbleached flour
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extact
1/4 cup oil
1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) + 1 Tablespoon water = mix well

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Oil 8x9cake pan or muffin tins.
Stir together dry ingredients, set aside.
Blend liquid ingredients, and add to dry mixture. Beat well with a whisk or about a minute. Pour into prepared pans and bake.
8x9 pan = 25-30 minutes - Cupcakes 15-20 minutes...it bakes very quickly! (Its done when a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.)

and heres a yellow cake, again make sure nothing bought from the store has soy in it:
Basic Yellow Cake

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons canola oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients together.
In another bowl, mix all wet except oil and stir well.
Mix together wet and dry together.
Add canola oil, 1 tablespoon at a time and mix well.
Bake for 22-25 minutes until lightly golden.
Note: you can sub applesauce for the oil if you'd like to make this a healthier recipe. Just make sure to reduce the sugar just a touch if you used sweetened applesauce

Preparation time: 30 minutes

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:19am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for you help! I am hoping that she'll go for the chocolate as I made her a sample cake and gave it to her at church today and it is very good.

I don't know about the second recipe since it calls for amond extract since the kids are allergic to nuts...But I'll still try it to see how it turns out and I might be able to use it for someone else.

Thanks!

Mae1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae1118 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:59am
post #4 of 6

My daughter has had the same allergies, so I can sympathize with your friend! Here is a link to a reply I posted a little while ago for a recipe for an egg-free yellow cake using a Duncan Hines Classic Yellow cake mix. I have to admit, it was a little crumbly (I would recommend using parchment in the bottom of your pans, just in case of any sticking, even with greasing/flouring the pans), but it did work and it tasted good. I did notice that I had to bake it a little longer than I usually would.

Another favorite of mine is an egg-free lemon cake recipe that I developed from a chocolate recipe that I had found online. Here it is:

2 c. cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
1 c. cold water
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

Sift together cake flour, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add lemon zest and water and mix for about 30sec. to 1min. The mixture will not be very well blended at this point, and the shortening will separate from the water a little, but don't worry about this. With mixer at low speed, slowly add flour mixture to shortening/sugar/water mixture and continue mixing at low/med speed until just blended and smooth. Add lemon juice, and mix just until blended in. I get about 3 c. of batter from a single recipe. I usually use parchment in the bottom of my pans for this recipe, also, and make sure that you get it in the oven quickly, because it counts on the reaction between the baking soda and the lemon juice to make it rise. Bake at 350(F), until pick comes out clean. This seems to take longer for this recipe than for a regular cake recipe, so if the size pans you are using would normally require 30min, I would count on probably at least about 45min, in my experience.

Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Mae1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae1118 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:15am
post #5 of 6

Just another thought. If you do try the Duncan Hines recipe, just make sure there isn't anything in the mix the kids can't have. I have a box here, and I checked it. It does contain soybean oil, but most people who are allergic to soy can still have soy oil because it does not contain protein (which is what causes the allergic reaction). Check with the mom, though, because some very severely allergic people are still not allowed to have this. The same would go for the shortening in the lemon recipe (Crisco is made from soybean oil), but if you do need soy free shortening, you could ask the mom if she could buy some (or she may already even have this), so you aren't stuck with a whole bunch of it. There is a brand called Spectrum that is available in some health-food stores. Soy oil was not a problem for my daughter, but if you are not sure, it's always best to be cautious! Sorry I forgot this point earlier!

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:31am
post #6 of 6

http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/

Here is a company that sells cake mixes.....saw them at Target.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%