Your Favorite Song Luncheon - Ideas Needed!

Lounge By bjfranco Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 7:28pm by bjfranco

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:44am
post #1 of 13

Our church has a mother/daughter luncheon every May and you reserve a table and are responsible for decorating that table following the given theme and bring a dish. I LOVE doing this and another lady there and I challenge each other to out do one another on the decorations. All in fun.....but I still like "winning" icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif Anyway.........

This year the theme is "Your Favorite Song" and I am drawing a blank. icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif The only songs that keep coming to mind are holiday songs. icon_confused.gificon_sad.gifthumbsdown.gif

There are usually about 25 tables and each table seats 8 to 10 people and usually people just bring paper plates and plastic forks but Oh no, I could not do that so the first year I decorated the table in lieu of my mother I went all out and brought china (really plates from the $1 store) and silverware and painted glasses to match - along with a gift for each person at the table - table cloths, placemats, fresh flowers - place cards, candles, .......... well you get the picture. I go all out with this because my mother positively glows with pride while I am setting up so the hard work is worth it in the end. icon_smile.gif

I guess my question is......... ANY IDEAS??? Any well known songs come to mind that you can decorate a table too? Also the ladies in this church are more....ummm.....mature. I am 36 and they think that I am baby and pretty much pinch my cheeks when they see me. icon_lol.gif So, I have to keep in mind that they need to be able to recognize the song by the decorations.

OK, sorry so long........... please throw out some ideas and I am going to go search songs from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

And of course I will do a matching cake to follow with the theme!

Thanks!!!!
bj

12 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:58am
post #2 of 13

musicals:

Lida Rose

Good Night ladies (great for black, white, silver theme)

Anything you can do.....

It's almost like being in love

One last kiss

------------

just about anything by cole porter, or gershwin

poter:
All Through the Night (song)
All of You
Be a Clown
Begin the Beguine
Don't Fence Me In (song)
Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
I Get a Kick Out of You
I Love Paris
I've Got You Under My Skin
It's De-Lovely
Let's Do It, Let's Fall in Love
My Heart Belongs to Daddy
Night and Day (song)
So in Love
Too Darn Hot
True Love
What Is This Thing Called Love?
You Do Something to Me
You're the Top

Gershwin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_George_Gershwin
(so many!!!!)

-------
of course as a tribute to mom (and if she's ok w/ it) -- what was her and your father's song. (my parent's was "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree")

-------

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:09am
post #3 of 13

I thought of the song from The Sound of Music.....A few of my favorite things.

Doug Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:16am
post #4 of 13

Climb Every Mountain!
Do-a dear.....(music theme)
----

Wind Beneath My Wings (from Beaches!

-------

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:25am
post #5 of 13

Ok.....Some where over the rainbow.
I would make a rainbow out of balsa wood,foam or something else light. put it on a pole/stick in the center of the table so there was a rainbow over your table. I would use Ruby slippers (red glittered shoes) blue gingham napkins(for Dorthy's dress). You could do place cards that were tented and have wicked witches feet sticking out from the place card (like they had landed on her).....
Oh this is fun icon_lol.gif

bjfranco Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:33am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara

Ok.....Some where over the rainbow.
I would make a rainbow out of balsa wood,foam or something else light. put it on a pole/stick in the center of the table so there was a rainbow over your table. I would use Ruby slippers (red glittered shoes) blue gingham napkins(for Dorthy's dress). You could do place cards that were tented and have wicked witches feet sticking out from the place card (like they had landed on her).....
Oh this is fun icon_lol.gif

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I just wrote down "Some Where Over the Rainbow" too when I was searching on the internet!

Doug: I also like Day and Night!! That could be really cool and should be easy for those ladies to guess!! My Mom and Dad's song was "From a Jack to a King" but I don't think to many people would know that song.

I think that I am really liking "Some Where Over the Rainbow".

If anything else comes to mind let me know! I love brainstorming with creative people!

Thanks!
bj

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 6:53am
post #7 of 13

grease
i love all the songs from that musical and the table could look awesome

Doug Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 13

that "From a Jack to a King" would also work so well too (such wonderfully sentimental lyrics!)

playing cards

Jack of Hearts --- King of Hearts -- Queen of Hearts.

winning hand (ACE KING QUEEN JACK and a Wedding ring card)

a set of card stacked to make a house.

another set to make a church even.

--------------

and picking up on OZ theme.

table is covered w/ green cloth that has yellow brick road appliquéd to it.

Each of the 8 place settings represents a different part of the journey --

w/ OZ being the centerpiece and of course a hot air balloon rising from it toward the rainbow.

settings:
the farm--pig sty (think of all the cute little piggies)
munchkin land (add Glinda in her bubble!)
scarecrow cornfield (don't forget the crow)
tin man's apple orchard
lion's forest
witch's castle (yo-ee-oo, yo-oh) (i'm melting!!!)
haunted forest (don't forget the flying monkeys)
wizards room w/ the man behind the curtain.

(a few more options -- the field of poppies, the fortune teller's wagon)

some place you can have:
the witch's crystal ball (AUNTY EM!)
the hourglass
toto -- in the picnic basket?
Ms Gulch's bicycle
the horse of a different color.

oh lordy... this could be some production number!

bjfranco Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:06am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachshortcake

grease
i love all the songs from that musical and the table could look awesome

Grease is a good idea too!! I will have to think about that one! I sure would love to do that one!!

Doug:
You are too much!!! Great Ideas!!! I am surprised too that you know the song From a Jack to a King. Not many people know that song. icon_wink.gif I really wanted to do that song buy my Mother said No so that's that. icon_sad.gificon_lol.gif

I ran it past Mom today after church and she loved the idea of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I think I am going to run with that idea and also put bluebirds singing on the rainbow, blue skies and incorporate lemon drops and chimney tops along with some of the oz pieces.

"Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly."

"Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,"

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me."

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! & Happy Easter!!
bj icon_biggrin.gif

bjfranco Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:34am
post #11 of 13
Quote:

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the last one and I going to try and duplicate that across the table with a giant rainbow going over the top with bluebirds!!!! I love it from the slippers to the fresh flowers to the emerald city!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to Wizrd of Ozish and it states what lies over the rainbow!!! Love it, Love it, Love it!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif <Big Hug>

The snow globe piece would be a wonderful centerpiece.

eeeeeeeeeeeeee - I am getting excited now. icon_biggrin.gif

bj

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:17am
post #12 of 13

Ooh, this is interesting, could you post pics of your table pretty please? Would be fun for a dinner at home or the next party, hhmmmm

bjfranco Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 7:28pm
post #13 of 13

Of course I post pics!!!

I wish I could find some from the year that I did "Your Favorite Scripture" and I did "I am the vine and you are the branches......" so it was like a garden/grapes/vine/iron scrolls/candles setting and it was beautiful!!!!! I will have to find those pics.

bj

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%