Dots On A Wedding Cake???

Decorating By krzz18 Updated 9 Oct 2006 , 3:37pm by braggmama2

krzz18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzz18 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:46am
post #1 of 14

I have a question....ive seen some really beautiful cakes that have different sized dots of icing all over them.. do people generally do these free handed on the cake or separate with royal icing on parchment and attach them? thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:51am
post #2 of 14

I have done both ways. Honestly I prefer to do them with royal icing...but it's a little bit more work and some of them MAY fall off. So....it's really up to you!

I would suggest you to practice a little and see what you like best!

Good Luck!!

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:55am
post #3 of 14

Ditto for me. Thinned royal will give you a smooth dot, but it may fall off. If your cake is frosted in BC, you can do the dots a few days in advance and place them as soon as you get your layer frosted, before it has a chance to crust at all!!! They will stay on better then, but if it is fondant, I am not sure. I have not done fondant. Probably you could glue them on with royal.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:59am
post #4 of 14

Could you glue them on with gel or would that dissolve the royal?

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:02am
post #5 of 14

My opinion is to make them out of fondant and just put a little water on your finger and then wet the back of the dot slightly attatch to cake and voila! A perfectly round dot. It is so easy. I hate working in royal, too messy and Prep work.

Fondant is awsome and quick.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:06am
post #6 of 14

I attach my fondant dots/pearls with a pair of craft tweezers. I dip in either gum arabic to place and stick to fondant or use royal or water. If I use water I just use the tweezers and dip just a tiny portion of the pearl in the water and stick to the fondant cake.

Swiss dot is a very elegant decoration to put on a cake. You can do this with BC or royal! It's up to you and the creations are endless!!!

Amy

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:06am
post #7 of 14

I never even knew this was an issue. I had no idea some of you make and stick the dots on. I always thought they were piped no question. I guess there are a million ways to do anything!

krzz18 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:06am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdlady

My opinion is to make them out of fondant and just put a little water on your finger and then wet the back of the dot slightly attatch to cake and voila! A perfectly round dot. It is so easy. I hate working in royal, too messy and Prep work.

Fondant is awsome and quick.

so this works with buttercream iced cake??

cakemommy Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:09am
post #9 of 14

With buttercream just attach the fondant dots/pearls before the icing crusts completely. If you do it before the icing dries there is no need to use water or anything else. (This is my experience.)

Amy

krzz18 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:09am
post #10 of 14

whats a swiss dot?

cakemommy Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:11am
post #11 of 14

Swiss Dot is what the design is called! A tier with nothing else but dots on it. I've seen them in a random pattern and in the more traditional rows of dots, these are spaced equally apart all around the tier.

Hope this helps.

Amy

BTW, WELCOME TO CAKE CENTRAL!!!!!

krzz18 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:16am
post #12 of 14

oh, lol. duh! thanks again!

cakemommy Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:17am
post #13 of 14

I say that to myself all day long, DUH!!!!! No problemo!!

Amy

braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:37pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

With buttercream just attach the fondant dots/pearls before the icing crusts completely. If you do it before the icing dries there is no need to use water or anything else. (This is my experience.)

Amy

What if you need to let your BC frosting crust in order to smooth with the Viva method? Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%