Fondant Bow.....questions

Decorating By twinsline7 Updated 5 Apr 2006 , 12:43am by KittisKakes

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:39am
post #1 of 13

ok ok ...so Im being lazy icon_wink.gif and not looking through all the posts.....but somewhere I saw one about making the fondant bow....it had the measurements and of how many of each....does anyone remember the thread and where I can find it.....or do you know the answer icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
twinsline7 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:56am
post #2 of 13

please dont make me look through all the posts...... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I like being lazy icon_twisted.gif

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:59am
post #3 of 13

Hi there.

If you are making a bow for a 6" round cake, you need to make 18-22 loops that are cut at 61/2 " long and folded into a loop.
All the best,

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:02am
post #4 of 13

there's a link from the instructions page to a forum with any questions/answers...
here it is! http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-59.html
i believe most of the articles have something like this.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:06am
post #5 of 13

I just did one (in my pics). I think it took 17 or 18 strips. They were 6" long and 1" wide. I hung them over a fat dowel rod, wrapped with wax paper (like a broomstick's width) and pinched the ends together to dry.

twinsline7 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:13am
post #6 of 13

thanks...I saw that article...but I thought in the forum post I saw it had something about different lengths and stuff....like so many bottom at this length then the next row and so on....

kittikakes...very pretty bow...so they were all the same lengths?? what size cake was that? Im going to do a square gift cake ..I dont know what size though

KittisKakes Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:20am
post #7 of 13

That cake is a 9". They were all the same size. I cut a small circle from a cake board, probably 2" to 3" in diameter and then put a big dollop of royal icing in the center the same color of the bow and then stuck 8 strips into the bottom. I put them all in a circle first to make sure how they would fit together before putting them in the icing. If you're going for a smaller cake you could make them 5" long and even a little smaller in width.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 5:32am
post #8 of 13

When I do mine, I figure out how big I am doing the cake, and how much room I want to take up on top. If it is a 10 in cake and I want an 8in bow on it, then I do the bottom loops around 7-8 inchs, then lay them over a wood dowel. I have several different thicknesses that I use depending on the size of the bow. I then make some smaller loops 6-7 inches, and them some even smaller loops. I usually make some that are just enough to fit around the dowel for the top of the bow.

I also make my loops around an inch thick, but I do make some thinner loops to help fit into areas where a regular sized one won't fit, so I can emlimanate gaps.

I never count how many loops I make. I'm a firm believer in making extras, to allow for breakage.

dandelion Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 5:45am
post #9 of 13

i'm actually attempting to create one right now...but my loops won't dry. it's been 2 days and they're still floppy. any ideas why?

KittisKakes Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 13

What did you use for your medium? How thick are the strips? If it's straight fondant, it could take a couple of days to dry(depending on thickness). If it's gumpaste, it should be dry within a few days. If it's MMF, it could take up to a week. I find MMF takes forever to dry out if it doesn't have something added to it. To get the fondant to dry faster, you could add gumtex, tylose or even powdered fixodent. My bow was made out of Wilton fondant (I'm trying to get rid of it) and powdered fixodent. I needed the bow in two days, so I wanted to make sure it dried faster than usual.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 13

Hey Twinsline: I don't think this is the thread you were talking about, but it might help. TamiAZ replied with a post about lenghts & widths, etc. & posted a picture of a really pretty bow she did:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-20340-fondant.html+bow

HTH

dandelion Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 10:35pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you KittisKakes!
I used MMF and was freaking out because they hadn't dryed in 24 hours like the article said they would.
Fortunately this is just experimental so I have all the time I need.
What is powdered fixodent?

KittisKakes Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 12:43am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

What is powdered fixodent?

You know the stuff people use to keep their dentures in...well, that stuff. You can find it at any drug store and at Wal-mart and K-mart and places like that. It has to be the powder though. Put 1 tsp of powdered fixodent into a wad of fondant the size of a baseball and then use it just like gumpaste. I can't always get tylose and gumtex so this works in a fix, no pun intended! A few of the cakes in my pics were made with MMF and fixodent - Tink's wings, the sun's rays, the robot's appendages. The pink bow is actually Wilton fondant with fixodent. The fondant would have eventually dried out on it's own, but I wanted to make sure it was dry within 2 days. SquirrellyCakes passed that tip on from another decorator.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%