Tasting Tomorrow.....need Advice

Business By Kitagrl Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 2:55am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:22am
post #1 of 3

Okay I may have done something stupid....

I have a tasting tomorrow...mainly a lady who is unfamiliar with fondant and wants to see what its like. She wants a non traditional wedding cake for 50 people (small wedding) that will look like a 3D vase with sugar tulips (some of you may have seen me asking about this before).

So I've been researching buying sugar tulips since I do not feel I have the time to speed-learn gumpaste flowers right now. The best selection of this hard-to-find flower is on CalJava but to get a decent bouquet its going to be like $75-$80 at least...and I'll still probably have to make my own gumpaste or fondant leaves to help fill in, I haven't researched the leaves yet.

My problem is that I already quoted her a price. icon_sad.gif I quoted $5/serving but since the cake is small, the price only comes to $250. Now I was taking into account a 50 serving 3D cake...I was NOT taking into account, evidently, the time/work/money it takes to have sugar flowers, no matter if I make OR buy them. If I had this to quote over, I would say $4/serving for the cake itself ($200) and then another $150 to cover the floral arrangement. However this is $100 more than I first quoted her.

She has not paid any deposit yet and I do think she expects me to make the flowers...so I cant sit there and explain how expensive sugar flowers are! But I don't know how fair it will be to raise the cost by $100.

What do I do? Raise the price and risk making her upset? Or eat the cost?

2 replies
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:41am
post #2 of 3

Have you looked at Wholesale Sugar Flowers? Their prices are really reasonable. I think you are going to have to eat the extra cost as you don't want to damage your integrity by raising the price after your original quote. Good luck!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:55am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

Have you looked at Wholesale Sugar Flowers? Their prices are really reasonable. I think you are going to have to eat the extra cost as you don't want to damage your integrity by raising the price after your original quote. Good luck!

Yes...the only tulips they offer seem kinda small though...and the CalJava offers some really large ones but they are going to add up real quick.

I might end up making due with smaller ones though. Man I have got myself into a bind. And with three kids and one on the way and a part time job and other cakes to do, I will not have time to figure out how to make them...as it is I will still have to use florist tape to make them have longer stems and hand color each one to match the theme.

Don'tcha hate when you undercharge or don't research fully? Gracious...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%