Attaching Fondant Ribbon On Cake At Delivery Site

Decorating By Cascades Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 11:02pm by Cascades

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:21am
post #1 of 5

Help, I have to deliver a four tiered cake for a wedding. I always put my cakes together on site since I had a disaster with the bottom tier of a cake which broke apart. I live in the country and have to travel on average 30 miles to deliver the cakes. The roads are extremely ridden with potholes, and I have just found it is much safer to deliver my cakes unstacked. My problem with this cake is the bride wants the ribbon done in fondant and I am not sure how to make it ahead of time without it getting to dry to wrap around the cake. Any suggestions?

4 replies
CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:56am
post #2 of 5

If you pre-cut strips of waxed paper the same width (or slightly larger) than your ribbon and roll the fondant ribbon up with the paper in between (imagine like a fruit roll-up is rolled up w/that crinkly paper) and then transport it to the site in a ziploc bag or sealed tupperware- do you think that might work?

Good luck!
Christy

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:02am
post #3 of 5

That could work, but just make sure it is sealed VERY well so it doesn't dry out. Give it a test run - make a fondant ribbon and roll it up, keep it stored for a day then take it out and put it around a cake, or at least just check the texture to see if it is still pliable?

I don't have as far to travel, but I'm doing the same thing soon and was worried about that! I can't make mine ahead because it's going to be more like a swag with flowers where it's gathered! Oh well!

GOOD LUCK!

mdtargac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdtargac Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 5

I've done what Christy suggested and it works well. I cut mine the night before, rolled it up in a wax paper strip and sealed it up well. I even cut the ribbon two days before and put in a slightly damp paper towel, making sure it did not touch the fondant in any way, and it was still pliable.

Melissa

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 5

Thaks guys. I'll give it a try. I feel a little more secure now.

Thanks,

Annie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%