Cream Cheese Icing Under Fondant?

Decorating By albumangel Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 6:55pm by Jodiedew

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 5

I've searched the forums and there seem to be lots of different answers- I'd love to hear what you have tried (whether it's the "official" answer or not):

When wrapping a carrot cake in fondant, what cream cheese icing recipe do you use?

I'm making a carrot cake and wrapping it fondant. It must sit at room temperature once covered in fondant a whole day before the party. I've used fondant decorations on a cream cheese frosting that was refrigerated in the past, and the fondant "melted." I've eaten carrot cake w/cream cheese-tasting frosting wrapped in fondant at weddings. I know it can be done, I'm just not sure how! icon_confused.gif

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
aandsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandsmommy Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 5

I would love to see answers to this. I have tried it once and the fondant melted. Not sure if it is because I refrigerated...perhaps there is a cream cheese icing that can be left at room temp. My pastry chef cousin has told me that you cannot use cream cheese icing with fondant....

who knows!?!?!

anita

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 5

Maybe the cakes I had in the past used a cream cheese flavoring? I'd prefer to use the real thing, if it were safe enough to stay at room temp...

wdsanders21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wdsanders21 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 5

BUMP! I cant wait to hear the answer here.

Jodiedew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodiedew Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 5

I've made carrot cake with cream cheese icing and Satin Ice fondant for weddings. This is the recipes I used for the cream cheese icing:

3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 (8 ounce) package Neufchatel cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract

I never had any issues with the fondant "melting." I did refrigerate the cake, except for maybe 4 hours prior to the wedding. I know that fondant shouldn't technically go in the fridge, but I had no problems with it and it was important to me that the cream cheese be cold. IT required a lot of manipulation of my fridge to be able to fit the cake in there! I don't know how best to do this without refrigeration--perhaps the cream cheese flavoring? Maybe some dry ice concoction?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%