Mother's Day Ideas....

Business By jen1977 Updated 11 Apr 2007 , 2:21pm by sweetbaker

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 10

I'm planning on putting an ad in our local paper for Mother's Day items. I'm wanting to have three different basic cake designs to offer...2 simple and 1 more complicated. My mom thinks I should do a tea set as one, I'm still trying to figure it out. I also want to offer a cookie bouquet. Can anyone help me with the three cakes I should offer? Of course, the flavors will vary based on what the customer wants, but as far as designs, does anyone have any ideas?

9 replies
schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 10

I love the tea set idea. The flower pot cookie bouquets with a ribbon are always cute, maybe a sheet cake in the shape of an apron? That way you have 3 different levels of complexity and pricing?

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 10

What about a sheet cake with "stick children" piped on to represent the Mom's children. This idea comes to me from the necklaces (several years back) that were so popular. You know the ones with little birthstone charms shaped like boys or girls? You could even personalize it with their names.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 10

I am going to try and make a 3D cake for my mother-in-law based on a doily I crocheted for her. It is a mother hen surrounded by her baby chicks. She had 11 children so the chicks fit all the way around. The mother hen was white with pink and blue (pale)chicks.

That might work for you.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 10

A simple round with flowers perhaps scrolls on the side, the square package cake and a sheet cake with stick children as Little Big Momma described- it should look like a children's drawing with a sun in the sky, etc.- like one a small child would do of his/her family. Then add your cookie bouquet.

Those four items would make a very nice ad. You would appeal to the traditional- round cake with flowers, simple and sophisticated- the square package and the humorous, family oriented- children's drawing cake and then the cookie lovers.

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 10

i have a cake in my photos i did last mothers day. it is a rectangular cake with long stem roses on top. wanted to do a dozen roses, but as ususal i didnt have time.

Leahmaria7981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahmaria7981 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 10

There is a cake I do that looks like a box of chocolates. People love this cake at valentines day and mothers day, as well as anniversaries. It's just a square cake hollowed a bit at the top and covered in fondant, then another color on the sides to make it look like a box, then all you have to do is either make or buy chocolates and put them in the mini baking cups and arrange them on the top of the cake. Very cute, yet simple cake. I can slap one of these together in about 10 minutes after baking.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:27am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmaria7981

There is a cake I do that looks like a box of chocolates. People love this cake at valentines day and mothers day, as well as anniversaries. It's just a square cake hollowed a bit at the top and covered in fondant, then another color on the sides to make it look like a box, then all you have to do is either make or buy chocolates and put them in the mini baking cups and arrange them on the top of the cake. Very cute, yet simple cake. I can slap one of these together in about 10 minutes after baking.

This sounds like a neat cake. Can you post a pic?

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:11am
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the ideas! I really need to decide what I'm going to do so I can make samples!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 10

A cake with flowers and piped message. I think the course 2 cake in your photos would be one to consider. You flowers are nice and I think a cake with basketweave gives it an extra special touch..something that is not offered in grocery store cakes at least in my area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%