Covering Cake Boards

Decorating By rapollet Updated 1 Apr 2006 , 5:50am by BuncoHappens

rapollet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rapollet Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 8

Sorry if this isn't the correct location for this question. I am not a cake decorator but a bride in search of information for my wedding cake. This question is in regards to those cake boards that cakes are place on. What else can they be covered with other than that foil paper looking stuff? Could they be covered with material?

7 replies
BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, they can.

Boloantiano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boloantiano Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 8

They can also be covered with fondant or buttercream with coconot or flowers.

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 8

I have placed my cakes on glass platters or silver trays. I also know some who use clear plastic (plexi-glass) rounds and squares.

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 8

Or you can use a stand and you wouldn't see any of the board.

Check out the wilton site

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E305642-475A-BAC0-54CCA99DC6372101

Or ask whomever is doing your cake what other options they have.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 12:33am
post #6 of 8

You have many options for your board...fondant can also be used.

I cover my board with the foil first and then add the fondant. Once the fondant is dry I put ribbon around the outside edge of the board to cover the fondant edge and the foil.

You can have fabric as well but be aware that some fabrics will absorb any "grease" in the buttercream ie: butter and may stain the fabric.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 2:49am
post #7 of 8

My cake was on a square silver plateau which I purchased at www.cakesbysam.com - check their online store and look under Cake Plateaus. They have round ones too. They are beautiful, IMO!

I cover cake boards in material if it's a cake for a more formal event, fondant and royal icing for more casual events (b-days, showers, etc). Whatever it is, I match the board to the cake and the event. I don't cover boards in foil at all because it's not my style.

BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 5:50am
post #8 of 8

I had just made a board with a solid styrofoam circle. I glued a foam sheet to both sides and then taped down a sheer white material on top. I cut a smaller circle of clear self-adhesive where the cake would sit. I love this cake board because I can change the ribbon on the side easily with pins.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%