Edible Image Disaster - Need Help Fast!

Decorating By amberhoney Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 11:58pm by albumangel

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 7

I had a beer label printed and covered the cake last night with fondant. The cake is due this afternoon, so I thought I would leave it until the last minute to add the image as I was scared the colour would bleed. So I (duh) cut around it and left it in the box with the cake. Unsealed. So now the image is soft, and will NOT lift off the paper. I have put it in the freezer hoping it will firm up enough to lift it off. But I have that sick feeling that I may have to stick the whole thing to the cake with instructions to peel off the label before eating. Not a good look! Is there anything I can do?? I am thinking there isn't but here goes anyway....

6 replies
The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 7

Hair Dryer? Hmmm, I will be watching this...I think the hair dryer on the back of the paper helps it to release. I have not done it, but read it somewhere...

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 7

If you are having trouble getting the image off of the paper backing, take a image out of the bag put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes or lay them on a hot (not heated) surface, (like a pan out of the oven).

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 7

When I bought my edible images, I was told that if the backing wasn't coming off, to put it in a heated pan.

However, when I did have trouble getting the backing off, I tried the pan thing, and it just melted the backing. Yick.

I got the image off by using my icing spatula and just wriggling it between the icing and backing (being very careful & patient) until I got them separated.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Parsons_Wife

Hair Dryer?

Works great thumbs_up.gif

The image probably absorbed some moisture and needs to dry.

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 7

thanks heaps for the suggestions! This is my first time with edible images and unfortunately I am out of time, if I blow it I won't be able to make another print. So I trimmed it as best I could, and stuck the whole thing to the cake icon_cry.gif I tried my best to weight it down with more stips of icing (and a ton of gold paint!) Who knows, it might be for the best, I've just heard they have put off the party until tomorrow so it might last longer than this. I'm just uploading a pic now, tll me what you think!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 7

It looks fanTAStic!! thumbs_up.gif

I can't tell at all that the image is still on its backing- the gold trim is perfect. And I don't think they will mind at all peeling it off before cutting it. The icing sheets taste icky anyway.

I just did a cake with images (not in my photos- it wasn't too impressive) for a scrapbooking retreat I held, with photos of us cropping at last year's retreat. One of my friends got a piece with my picture on it, and (after making some hilarious comments about how she was going to eat me) took a bite of the picture, saying "Laurie, you taste disgusting!" icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%