To Those Of You Who Make Fondant Or Gumpaste Roses....

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 4 Apr 2006 , 1:49am by mid

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:00am
post #1 of 13

Do you use any kind of cutter or do you just make the petals freehand?

I'm not doing too well with the bc roses, so I thought I would try fondant or gumpaste. I don't have any tools so I was just going to try freehand but wondered if I am wasting my time doing it that way.

Do you use cutters and tools? Or just wing it?

12 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:07am
post #2 of 13

I use cutters...

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:09am
post #3 of 13

I have started freehanding the petals of my gumpaste flowers. Made a rose and magnolia last night freehand. I think you have better control that way. I don't know if freehand is good with fondant because it doesn't get as thin as gumpaste. Hope this helps.

luggi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luggi Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 6:56am
post #4 of 13

I don't have any petal cutters therefore I have to do them freehand. The only problem I had was to calculate the size. My first rose was really too big icon_eek.gif

Luggi

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 7:06am
post #5 of 13

I use cutters for every flower that I attempt. It's hard enough to get them looking realistic without trying to freehand as well. However, I have heard that you can just use a circle cutter for the petals.

If you want realistic roses though, you need to use a flower paste, because you will never get straight fondant to roll thinly enough to make realistic petals.

Good luck,

Cheers,
Fran

tortica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tortica Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 13

What is flower paste made of? Can I make it from scratch?

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 13

I have only ever worked with gumpaste once, this past weekend and I used cutters and also did some freehand. One way of freehand is also to take a small (very) ball and press it between your thumb and finger. It takes the cupping shape of your thumb. Then I still had to really thin out the edges etc. Just think back to when you were a kid and made clay flowers, it is basically the same. I really enjoyed working with the gumpaste and I got the recipe on here

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 13

Flower paste and petal paste are the British (and I presume Australian) names for Gumpaste

tortica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tortica Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:24am
post #9 of 13

Thank you!

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 9:45am
post #10 of 13

I free hand mine for now too since I am waiting on cutters. I like the control I have with it. I also really like to use Starburst Fruit Chews to make roses. Lots of stability and they firm up nicely. Just heat 1 fruit chew in the microwave for 5-7 seconds, cut it into 1/4's and flatten first portion, roll into swirl while slightly bending out the top to open it just a bit, flatten next "petal" and wrap around swirl while again bending out slightly. Continue with the other two portions then microwave another fruit chew if you want it bigger. I find I only wnat to micro one chew at a time so that they stay soft enough to work with. Good luck!!!

mid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mid Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 9:50am
post #11 of 13

Me too.. I use freehand. it is so much easier to me but I don't use fondant. Kind of soft and take a long time to harden. I use only gelatin and confectioners sugar. It turns hard like a rock ia a few minutes. Just airdry. Thats all.

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 10:19am
post #12 of 13

what is the ratio that you use for the gelatin/confectioners sugar? Could you send me the recipe? I am always looking for alternatives to gumpaste. Thanks!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mid Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:49am
post #13 of 13

Actually I got the recipe from here, under "recipe".

1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
1/3 cup of cold water
4 cups of confectioners sugar
Colouring (optional)

Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small bowl. Let it stand for 2 mins to soften. Place it over a pan of simmering water until the gelatin dissolves. Then add colouring.

Sift confectioners sugar and make a well in the center and pour the liquid mixture. stir with a wooden spoon. Add more sugar if needed. Knead until it become soft & pliable.

If not in use wrap the gumpaste with plastic wrap and store it in a box in a coll dry place.Do not store in the a humid place such as the kitchen and do not refrigerate as this recipe dried up very fast.

When moulding roses, use a bit of warm water to make the petal sticks to each other..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%