Pricing A Cake

Decorating By charman Updated 22 Apr 2005 , 7:55pm by m0use

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone help me out on this one...I have been making some cakes for friends to earn a little extra income...on like my 4th one now. I am struggling with what to charge them for the finished product. I don't want to over-charge, but I also want to make a few bucks too. Can anyone tell me what they charge for basic 12" rounds with design vs. shaped cake pans. Not really interested in wedding cakes for say...although I do have a groom's cake to do in June. Any advise would be helpful! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 5

I know a lot of people use a pricing matrix...Dawn and Ladycake will send you one. Some people also use the 3X method...charge 3X what it cost you to make it.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 5

you should really ask around your area to see what bakeries charge, others charge and so on. You will probably find a price you are happy with by doing that...
I just want to make back what I put into it, and maybe a little extra, until I get comfortable... I have not done that yet....

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 5

Yeah, tried that...getting a mixed bag of responses...nothing consistent. Even went to Walmart to price compare, but stuff I make is way for detailed for there prices. Would be interested in what the CakeLady has, etc. Thanks icon_smile.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 5

If you PM cali4dawn, she has a pricing matrix that is supposed to be good, just tell her if you want it in works or excel. And also include your email address and she can email it to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%