Decorative Ribbon On The Bottom Of Each Layer Of Wedding Cak

Decorating By FlowerLady Updated 4 Apr 2007 , 7:47pm by indydebi

FlowerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerLady Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 3

I'm wondering if there are any secrets to putting ribbon along the bottom of each layer on a wedding cake. I made my son's wedding cake in November, which was the very first wedding cake that I made, and the bride wanted ribbon at the bottom of every layer with a small dot border running along the bottom. I did that but did run into some problems with the ribbon gapping and not staying straight. Now I have another request the the bride wants the same thing - ribbon and a small dot border. Any suggestions on how to keep the ribbon so that it will not pucker. Thanks so much for any hints.

2 replies
crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 3

Oce I measure and cut the ribbon I let it set out for a few minutes before I try to lift it or move it. I have found that it helps keep the ribbons and other figures from pulling or stretching out. Hope this helps.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 3

Here's what I've run into.....

It makes a difference if you are wrapping the ribbon around the actual cake itself or if the base of the ribbon is actually touching (i.e. wrapping around) the cardboard under the cake. Even a 1/16" protrusion of cardboard can cause the ribbon to gap.

You are fortunate that the bride wants a dot border along the base. You an apply the ribbon slightly above the cardboard .... wrap it directly onto the cake .... and it will be more likely to lay flat. The "gap" that results at the bottom will be covered by the dot border.

I've done it both ways and when I am able to put a dot border at the base and not have to cover the cardboard, then it works smooth as silk! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%