Anyone Ever Tried Cupcake Cakes With Upside-Down Frosting?

Decorating By LaSombra Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 3:41pm by CakeDiva73

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 13

I was just thinking that it might be alot easier to do one of those cupcake cakes using the upside-down method of icing: http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

I haven't done the cupcake cakes before so maybe there's something to it that would make it not work but I would think it'd be easier...

What do you think?

12 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 13

I don't think that would work with cupcakes, I would think they would go all over the place when you tried to flip them. Not to mention, I think that frosting method is when you are trying to get a perfectly smooth top on a cake.....I was under the impression that cupcake-cakes are a bit more casual and it would be difficult to get it totally perfect with the little mini-gaps between the cupcakes.....but I have never made one so I may be missing something.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 13

I wish I could help but I've never done either the upside down icing or made a cupcake cake. I think they look great though. Good luck.

Here is a bump for you.

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 13

I'm not sure what the upside down icing method is, but I have a picture you can see that I decorated cupcakes inverted. I used poured fondant and put a filling inside. They turned out really well. It's the picture with pink cupcakes and white tiaras.

LaSombra Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy

I'm not sure what the upside down icing method is, but I have a picture you can see that I decorated cupcakes inverted. I used poured fondant and put a filling inside. They turned out really well. It's the picture with pink cupcakes and white tiaras.

Those are so cute! I love the little tiaras on top icon_smile.gif That isn't what I meant by the upside-down method but you certainly did turn them upside-down icon_wink.gif I'm going to have to add that to my favorites for a later project. This place gives me so many ideas and I can't work on all of them lol

LaSombra Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I don't think that would work with cupcakes, I would think they would go all over the place when you tried to flip them. Not to mention, I think that frosting method is when you are trying to get a perfectly smooth top on a cake.....I was under the impression that cupcake-cakes are a bit more casual and it would be difficult to get it totally perfect with the little mini-gaps between the cupcakes.....but I have never made one so I may be missing something.

Whenever I see them, they're always iced really smooth and w/o gaps. Look at this one that I saw on sugarcraft's forum: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2213334220055352407gIAXaS

I suppose it never hurts to try on the family. They don't mind mess-ups icon_lol.gif

Terrisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terrisa Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 13

I don't know about upside down icing, but I did a cupcake cake with FBCT which is somewhat similar and it worked out fine. Sorry, I don't have a picture. Even if you didn't pipe an image with your icing, the technique might work.

Here's what I did:
1. Make FBCT so it has time to freeze. (About 20 or 30 minutes.)
2. Make sure all of the cupcakes are about the same height.
3. Make sure the FBCT is frozen solid and add another layer of the base color icing so the icing will be thick.
4. While the second layer of icing is still soft gently place the cupcakes as close together as possible.
5. Place a cookie sheet on top of the cupcakes with a level on top of it and press lightly to make sure the cupcakes are secure and level.
6. Remove the level and put the whole thing in the freezer to set.
7. Once it is frozen (about 30 to 40 minutes) gently flip it over onto the serving dish, peel off the wax paper, and allow it to thaw (about 30 or 40 minutes) before serving.

HTH

LaSombra Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 13

wow, I wish you had a pic but you described well. I'm encouraged to try this now thumbs_up.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 13

I really think the upside down icing technique is more about getting sharp, clean edges on a round layer cake. I don't think that is really a concern with a cupcake cake because they are usually arranged to make a creative design. I think what you were seeing in your mind was a faster way to get a smooth top of the ccc? Probably would work just as well to arrange the cupcakes on the board with each cake secured with a dab of icing under the bottom and then iced as a whole with an offset spatula.

Terrisa Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 13

If you look at the pictures in the FBCT tutorial you can see that the cake the tutorial is done with and at least the bottom two pictures are cupcake cakes. I think all of them may be. I just varied my method a little bit from the tutorial.

LaSombra Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:37am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrisa

If you look at the pictures in the FBCT tutorial you can see that the cake the tutorial is done with and at least the bottom two pictures are cupcake cakes. I think all of them may be. I just varied my method a little bit from the tutorial.

I wonder if you can combine FBCT with upside-down method of frosting...well, I don't see why not except there's gotta be a way to make sure it's in the right spot on the cake...

Terrisa Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:06pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

I wonder if you can combine FBCT with upside-down method of frosting...well, I don't see why not except there's gotta be a way to make sure it's in the right spot on the cake...

Maybe you could combine the tutorials? Set the cupcakes up the way you want them, then place a sheet of wax paper on top of the cupcakes, place a flat surface (cookie sheet) on top of that, flip it and trace your shape. That way you have the shape you want for your FBCT. If you're using an image, place your outline over the image so you can pipe it where you want it to be on your cake. Then either follow the method on the tutorial and ice the cupcakes as a cake and place the FBCT on top of it, or try my method and transfer the cupcakes to the FBCT. If you're planning on Following the FBCT tutorial I would use ShirleyW 's suggestion to arrange the cupcakes on the board with each cake secured with a dab of icing under the bottom.

HTH

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:41pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

I suppose it never hurts to try on the family. They don't mind mess-ups icon_lol.gif

lol - my family actually prays for 'mess ups'....then they get to eat them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%