Royal Icing......help Please!!!

Decorating By mmdd Updated 29 Mar 2006 , 8:44pm by mmdd

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I just made a batch of royal icing. I followed the recipe to a "T". My tips, couplers & bags are grease free. But, my icing is MUSH. When I went to form the "cone" to make a rose, it just slid down into a flat pile.

Any suggestions????? AAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

7 replies
thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 8

What about the bowl you mixed it in and your beaters? Are they completely grease free? Did you maybe thin it out too much? Did you use enough powdered sugar? I don't know what else to suggest, except it just sounds like there is a trace of grease somewhere.

iceberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceberg Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 8

Did you use a food color that possibly had grease in it? I have seen where some people have used the regular food color you buy in the grocery store and it can do that to the Royal icing

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 8

Did you beat it in the mixer long enough? I usually go about 10 minutes.

mmdd Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 8

I'm starting to mix some more powdered sugar to it...it seems to be thickening up. I know that the bowl & beater was grease free...it's the first time I've used them....My brand new kitchen aid, YES!, anyway......I think I maybe added a little too much water, or not enough powdered sugar.

I just didn't get it because it would peak, so I thought it was done. Oh well!

mmdd Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 12:14am
post #6 of 8

I'm making white roses, so there's no food coloring. I believe I mixed it for a little over 10 min. because I beat it on 1.

I'm making the top tier of our wedding cake...our anniversary tier.......our anniversary is tomorrow. Yay! Three years!!! I guess I just feel a little stressed.

I've added some more powdered sugar and that seems to be working.

Thanks for all of your guys suggestions.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 8

We use a lot of royal icing in the UK and I always say the same thing you have to learn to make it by feel. You can use the same batch of meringue powder, the same batch of sugar and every time it takes a different amount of sugar. Things like humidity can affect it so you have to learn the correct feel of the icing

mmdd Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you, MissBaritone. I often wondered why I always had to add more sugar to it or more water. It was never the same amount of anything! I'm glad to know I'm not going crazy, LOL!

Even though my icing was peaking, it was still pretty shiny, so I guess that was an indicator that it wasn't ready yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%