How Much $$$ Fo Babysitting

Lounge By caixa Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 8:07pm by Peachshortcake

caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caixa Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 12

I have not work since I had my 1st son and now I may go back to work near by my friends house she is a stay home mom also. I want her to watch my almost 2 yr old. It will be 4 days How much would you pay?

11 replies
CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 12

I think my SIL used to get $50/day to watch kids (under the table money). That's here in NJ though.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 12

It varies by area. I live in a tiny little town, and locally, about $12-15 per day is normal.

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 12

It totally depends on the area you are in -- I made $50 a day watching one two-year-old boy here in the Baltimore area. My mother only makes about $15 per child per day in the small PA town she lives in. Search online or in the yellow pages for home daycare in your area, call around to compare prices, and adjust accordingly if you are not planning on becoming licensed. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 12

I own an in home daycare. I provide 1 meal, 2 snacks, pre-school type activites, planned days (not just tv). I live in a small town in Idaho, and I charge $350 a month if they are there or not (unless I am sick or on vacation) That is for 35 hours a week or more. For a part time child ( that I don't usually take) I charge $3.50 an hour. That is because you can't count on them as much. The parents get a price break by being full time. Plus, part time kids are disruptive to the routine of the other childrens day. I am always full, with a waiting list. I would ask her what she is comfortable with, and if your state has a 211 line, call that, or call the agency that takes care of assistance for people that can't afford to pay their own child care. They will be able to give you a "going rate" for the area.

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 12

she is your friend so you are probably going to get away with paying a little less but she is doing you a great favor so you dont want to stiff her ethier I would say for a 4 day week with a small child who is not potty trained 120 a week should be sufficant. but thats in my area in yours it may be different just discuss it with your friend and figure out was is fair and aggreable between you two plus you might be able to work out a sort of trade with her for a reduced weekly rate like watching her son once a week while she does her shopping.

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 12

Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough! I should have said to adjust accordingly if SHE is not planning on becoming licensed!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 12

I watch my niece, and my sister pays me $420 a month (sounds like a ton of money i know---but before I had my son she was paying over $600 a month).....so I get some play money and she gets a break on childcare (not to mention I still take her when she is sick etc)......I am going to start watching my cousin's baby in about a week....they are going to pay me $120/week for a newborn...I checked at a local daycare and the going rate here is $200-$220 for a newborn..but of course your kiddo is older! I have to say though my son will turn 2 this month and I think this is a HARD stage...I think it was easier when he was an infant!

Dont know if that helps, but childcare is expensive!!

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 12

Remember that you want her to feel appreciated. That way, she will continue doing it for you. I live in a rural area and the rates have gone up to $35 a day for an infant, $30 after age 2 until they are potty trained, and $25 for older children who are potty trained.

judybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judybee Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:32am
post #10 of 12

I pay 2.50/hr for my three year old.

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:42am
post #11 of 12

My daughter who is an elementary education major charges $10 per hour for babysitting. I thought it was alot but she said her guidance counselor said not to charge less than that. She gets referrals from the school, and they refer her. So I guess its all good.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 12

Ok where I live at the moment everything costs more, but I charge 7 euro (about 11$ canadian) per hour for babysitting.
Fridays I take care of another family (twin three year olds) and I charges 50 euro for 8 hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%