German Chocolate Vs. Regular Chocolate; What's The Diff?

Decorating By DiscoLady Updated 4 Apr 2007 , 2:04am by DiscoLady

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:49am
post #1 of 6

I have an order for a 6" German chocolate, by chance I already have a 6" chocolate cake in the freezer...is there really a difference in the cake taste or is it all in the icing that makes it German chocolate...Your thoughts please...thanks.

5 replies
Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:52am
post #2 of 6

I may be wrong, but it seems like the German chocolate cakes I've had were lighter and almost had a reddish tint compared to the kind of chocolate cakes that I usually make (which do tend to be dark fudge-y cakes).

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:54am
post #3 of 6

from what i understand, german chocolate (named for a guy, not the country) is a little bit darker than 'regular' (milk, i guess) chocolate.

imho, if it's a paid order, i would make what they have asked for.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:59am
post #4 of 6

Actually, German's chocolate used to be a brand name. They were bought out by one of the others (I can't remember who), but their chocolate cake recipe from the 1950's was so good & well received that the name, "German's Chocolate Cake", stuck. The coconut/pecan icing is what makes it different, although it is not as dark or fudgey as some other types of chocolate cake. You can Google "German chocolate cake recipes" & get the scoop on it & get some recipes, too.

I have a really great recipe for the frosting, that was my grandmother's. PM me if you would like it. I don't like coconut, but I love that frosting - I'd eat it right out of the bowl, if I could.

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:00am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

from what i understand, german chocolate (named for a guy, not the country) is a little bit darker than 'regular' (milk, i guess) chocolate.

I agree. They will know the difference if what you deliver is not what they ordered.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:04am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by azterp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

I agree. They will know the difference if what you deliver is not what they ordered.

Oh poopy I was afraid of that icon_biggrin.gif But I guess you're right!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%