Luster Dust Is My Friend!

Decorating By Momkiksbutt Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 11:51pm by PistachioCranberry

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:06am
post #1 of 19

I'm posting a few progession pics of my husbands birthday cake in progress.....He is a big pirate game nut, so I just had to go there!! He says it's only for kids, but you know he really loves it!!! Don't they all????!! LOL icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

This is my first time trying cocoa painting too. I think it may become one of my favorite things to do...can you use other colors to do this?? What are the right tools and ingredients for this? I just used cocoa and alittle vegetable oil with paint brushes and my fingers to smudge. Any pointers on making it better??

Let me know what you think!
LL
LL
LL
LL

18 replies
KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:07am
post #2 of 19

I only see the last two pictures!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:20am
post #3 of 19

I can see them all....and they look GREAT! Love the map! And what a great idea...to luster dust the writing before putting it on the cake. I can't do it afterward - neatly, that is - to save my soul. Great work. Be sure to share the final result.

Momkiksbutt Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:34am
post #4 of 19

Will do that for sure!! My DH's birthday is not till Sunday, but our children are off friday to their respective non-custodial parents for springbreak visitation. So we are doing it early! Thursday to be exact!

I'll be sure and take lots of pics and post them. I'll post some others in the lounge so you can all see the celebration too!!

icon_biggrin.gif

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:47am
post #5 of 19

Looks great!

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:39am
post #6 of 19

Those look great! Can't wait to see the finished cake!

Kelly

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 19

Everything looks great! I just love the map!! Did you to that on fondant? Also, are the letter made from Chocolate Molds? I need some letters like that. The molds I have are more child like letters.

Can't wait to see the finished cakes!

bj

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 19

Such a cute cake! I used luster dust for the first time this weekend and love it too! The only problem I had was getting those little cups open. Ruined my nail and bruised my thumb just trying to get the top off.

Momkiksbutt Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 19

I used a print out of the logo, and placed it under parchment paper. Then I just piped over the top with the medium piping tip. I went over it 3 times for each letter to get the correct thickness.

I'll be putting the cake together today, so watch for the pics!

Thanks for the kind words!

Lisa icon_biggrin.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 19

I love Luster dust too. It just makes everything come to life.

Your cake is going to be great! I can tell just from what you have already shown us. Can't wait to see the final project.

No doubt your husband will go nuts over it.

Oh, I always remove my luster dust and put it into small jars with screw off lids. I hate trying to get those pop off ones off. They are so hard and I always spill them.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Such a cute cake! I used for the first time this weekend and love it too! The only problem I had was getting those little cups open. Ruined my nail and bruised my thumb just trying to get the top off.

A lady at one of the cake supply stores I hop at gave me a bottle opener to open them with....it works great.

Nice work momkiksbutt....i agree that map is awesome.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 19

I love everything I see there!! Your map is awesome!! I haven't had the chance to try cocoa painting yet. It looks neat. I want to know more about it. More research YAY!! If it has to do with cake decorating I love it!!

By the way -- I can't wait to see your finished cake!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by da757deevalibra

A lady at one of the cake supply stores I hop at gave me a bottle opener to open them with....it works great.

What a great idea!! Thanks for the tip. thumbs_up.gif

Momkiksbutt Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:52am
post #14 of 19

Ok everyone.....I finally got it done!! I am happy with the results, but I will never make the trees using the method I did, again!!! I'll try something else next time!! But I think my DH will be happy with his cake!!! I know the kids are!! icon_razz.gificon_smile.gif
LL
LL

littlebits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebits Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:12am
post #15 of 19

WOW! How awesome is that?! How did you make the trees? And why never again?
I am doing a pirate chest for a little boy next week. I wish I could have done something like yours. Great job!

Momkiksbutt Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:45am
post #16 of 19

I say never again the trees..because I made the inner bases out of wooden dowels and wire. This made them heavy and I have had to prop them up to dry them and they keep falling over on the cake...... icon_cry.gif

Luckliy we are eatting it and I don't have to trasport it anywhere or I would really be in trouble. I like the look and will do it again, but not this way.....what a headache!!

thumbs_up.gif

PistachioCranberry Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:42am
post #17 of 19

This cake is totally awesome and I'm sure he is going to love it.

Momkiksbutt Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:47pm
post #18 of 19

Well, since my last post, my husband told his gaming community for which the cake I did was modelled, about the cake I just did with their logo.

It seems that now I have been commissioned to do another for the company itself, and a special order for an employee who is allergic to dairy.

I get to do this same theme again in May! Yay!! I wonder if they will be paying me??? I think I should find out about that. More than likely my DH has volunteered my services for free.....darn him, but oh well. The fun is in the making right????

I'll keep you posted!!

PistachioCranberry Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 11:51pm
post #19 of 19

Congratulations...sometimes in order to make money you have to give some services away...good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%