Anyone Else Not Like The Rolled Buttercream?

Decorating By jbmommy Updated 7 Apr 2006 , 11:26am by dolittle

jbmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbmommy Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 28

I tried it this morning. I don't know if I did something wrong, but I just don't like it- maybe it tastes better on cake. It seemed too sweet. I added some almond extract and a bit more salt and it was still funny tasting.

I made some MMF, but it too was too sweet.

Any advice? I really like working with fondant- it seems alot easier than bc, but I also need it to taste good.

27 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 28

I LOVE rolled BC, so do my customers, what flavor oils did you use? I get most my requests for a vanilla butter nut and butter combo, and the kids love the tutti fruittie....the kids fight over who gets to eat the figures I put on the cakes...I have also flavored it with a butterscotch one that was a big hit w/ the adults, not too sweet....

But working with it is not the same as fondant or mmf, Rolled BC is much greaser and it is very hard to cover cakes in it...

I do not care for mmf, but I am not a marshmellow girl...

My recipie calls for 1/4 of 2 typse of Loraaine iols, not any extracts.. maybee that is the difference????

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 28

Hi Florimbio,

Would you be so kind to share the recipie with me for your rolled bc. Thanks alot

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 28

My recipe doesn't have any "oils" in it. We love it. Try this recipe:

Rolled Buttercream:

1 C shortening
1 C light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
7-8 C powdered sugar

Beat shortening and corn syrup in mixing bowl until creamy.
Add vanilla and salt.
Mix in powdered sugar.
It will be VERY THICK!

Knead until smooth. It is greasy, wear gloves.

It is easy to color.

Store wrapped in plastic wrap AND in an airtight container in the fridge several weeks or in the freezer several months.

It deforsts quickly.

cakebybek Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 28

Thank you I will try it!!!!!!!!!!

Florimbio Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 28

mine is the exact same as above, but my calls for 1/4 tsp of Loraine oils...you can use any flovor, they come in every kind under the sun!

Most of my adults like the vannilla butter nut, the kids like the tutti-fruity

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

Florimbio Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 28

mine is the exact same as above, but my calls for 1/4 tsp of Loraine oils...you can use any flavor, they come in every kind under the sun!

Most of my adults like the vannilla butter nut, the kids like the tutti-fruity

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

cakebybek Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 28

Thank you florimbio I will give all a try.

LittleLinda Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 28

Since Florimbio's recipe is the same except for 1/4 teaspoon of Laoraine oil; then the oil must be only for a flavor benefit, since 1/4 teaspoon of anything wouldn't make or break a recipe. I must confess I have never even heard of Loraine oil, I must look for it. But the recipe is good without any added flavoring.

twoprincesses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twoprincesses Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:05am
post #10 of 28

OMG I just tried the recipe posted on this question....Ilove it tastes great and so easy to work with I think I just found my new favorite fondant recipe ..thanks guys

LittleLinda Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:35am
post #11 of 28

Well, TwoPrincesses, I guess that would be my recipe? Thank you. I see you are rather new to the forum and I hope you will continue to use it to share information. I have found it to be a very valuable tool!

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 6:01am
post #12 of 28

I don't care for it either so your not alone. icon_smile.gif

twoprincesses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twoprincesses Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 1:33pm
post #13 of 28

Yes TheVienneaus, thank you. I have already found the forum , recipe and galleries so helpful in contributing to the success of my cake decorating!!

Hema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hema Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 5:54am
post #14 of 28

Hi

I am very new at cake decorating.

For TheVienneaus's recipe, can I substitute real butter instead of shortening or do a 50/50?
How do I achieve a more buttery taste and yet maintain the right consistency to cover the cake?

I come from a very humid place.

LittleLinda Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:05pm
post #15 of 28

I don't know about using 50/50 butter/shortening. I don't think I would do it. It may change the color. I like the taste with 100% shortening and don't see a need for a buttery taste. It's generally used for decorations on the cake, not covering the whole cake like fondant. So people aren't forced to eat it. Try a half batch just to try it; it wouldn't cost much to lose it you don't like it. Let us know if you do it, how you liked it.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:12pm
post #16 of 28

Have any of you tried to cover a cake with it? I know it's difficult - I have tried. I just wonder if there's a way to do it successfully.

LittleLinda Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:16pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittisKakes

Have any of you tried to cover a cake with it? I know it's difficult - I have tried. I just wonder if there's a way to do it successfully.

So you have tried covering a cake with rolled buttercream and were unsuccessful? What happened?

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:23pm
post #18 of 28

OK.....I was at the Austin Cake Show this weekend and we saw a demo from a guy named Steven Stellingwerf for rolled buttercream. A couple of things: he uses 3 drops of lemon OIL and 3 drops of orange OIL or any citrus OILS to cut down on the sweetness. PLUS.....he rolls his buttercream between two pieces of upholstery vinyl (like the kind that can be bought at walmart) - then he peels off one side and flips onto the cake (the buttercream will stay on the vinyl - he even held it straight up and down).

Hope this helps....I plan on trying the rolled buttercream this weekend. It is supposed to be more forgiving than the fondant....like if you get a dent or something you can smooth it back out because it doesn't dry out and it remains shiny. Downfall.....you cannot paint with luster dust/alcohol mixtures. thumbs_up.gif

april

KittisKakes Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:32pm
post #19 of 28

When I tried rolling it out, it tended to tear a lot and the rolling pin just seemed to shred it, (if that makes sense). It didn't matter if I dusted with powdered sugar, cornstarch or greased everything with Crisco. I finally got it on the cake, but there were cracks all over it! I came back with buttercream and filled in the cracks to smooth it out. It gave a cool effect, but not the smooth appearance like fondant that I wanted. So, I was just wondering how to get that smooth appearance. I'll have to try rolling it between the vinyl - Ape - that sounds like a good idea.

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:35pm
post #20 of 28

I have used rolled buttercream to cover a cake. Look at my purple cake in my pix. I won't use fondant because nobody I know will eat it. I did find mine a little tricky to work with, but it was my first try using it, and my first batch ever made. Everyone liked it.
Good luck.
Tabby

KittisKakes Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:40pm
post #21 of 28

What recipe did you use? If you don't mind sharing. icon_biggrin.gif Were there any tricks you used to keep it from tearing? The cake looks great!

Hema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hema Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 3:31am
post #22 of 28

Thank you. Will try and revert.

millionairess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millionairess Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 6:34am
post #23 of 28

I've tried rolled BC once for figures, but i noticed it doesnt harden very much. Should it harden a little?

LittleLinda Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 10:55am
post #24 of 28

This is weird. I was in Wal Mart yesterday in Plaistow, NH. I was in the craft aisle digging through a clearance bin. I saw a twin pack of Lorann oil. It was cinnamon flavor. Before this thread in the forum, I had never heard of Lorann oil. Anyhow, guess how much it was on clearance for? .... ready? 25 cents! I dug like crazy, but they only had the cinnamon in the bin. Anybody ever use the cinnamon?

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 12:26am
post #25 of 28

So I'm wondering if you could use lemon extract instead of lemon oil? Is there are reason you need the oil?

Alacey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alacey Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 3:32am
post #26 of 28

I have yet to use buttercream in place of mmf.....my question would be do you still place a frosting on the cake before the bc? AND does it harden like wilton fondant does? That is my only problem with mmf is if it gets warm from sitting out too long, it starts to lose its shape and get smooshyl Any advice would be appreciated!!

LittleLinda Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 10:47am
post #27 of 28

Alacey,
I have never used rolled bc as a fondant; but if I were to do it, I would frost the cake first. The rolled bc stays relatively soft. I don't know how hard it would get rolled out into a thin layer.

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 11:26am
post #28 of 28

I have used it half rolled buttercream and half MMf . It works great I didn't cover a cake I rolled it out and ran it though my pasta machine to make stripes. I couldn't have done that with the rolled buttercream alone. I had read to do this somewhere I just can't rember where. It said you could cover a cake much easier with it and it didn't start to sag like rolled buttercream alone .It taste great! I can't get anybody to eat fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%