Maple Syrup Instead Of Molasses

Baking By Mariajo Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 8:03pm by JanH

Mariajo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mariajo Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 11

Helo everybody
I want to make gingerbread cookies but I can't find molasses anywhere. Do you think I can use maple syrup instead? or honey? Has any of you ever done it? I haven't tried yet because I am afraid to make them too sweet or to change the flavour totally, although I suppose that the flavour depends more on the different spices...

If anyone has ever tried it, please tell me how was the result
Thank you, bye bye

10 replies
darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 11

I"ve never tried it. Maple syrup usually is alot thinner than molasses. That might make your cookies too thin.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, you can substitute maple syrup, or a few other common baking ingredients, like dark corn syrup.

Here's a link that should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses

http://www.foodsubs.com/Syrups.html

http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

The flavor will be more mild than using molasses with any of the substitutes.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 11

I just checked that link and it says it can be used but with varying degrees of success. I'm not sure tho because for one thing maple syrup is not as thick as mollases also you probably wont get that dark color of mollases but sweetness wise I would think they would be the same. Where are you located? Maybe your mollasses is called something else?

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 11

You will indeed change the flavour completely. Molasses is a major part of what gives gingerbread it's unique flavour. GIve it a shot though, it shoudl still be quite tasty!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 11

Well, maple syrup is a wet ingredient right? And molasses is a dry one? I am not sure if that would work with cookies as it may with cakes because of that variable. icon_cool.gif

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 11

Molasses is also a wet ingredient, much like corn syrup in consistency (Karo in the US?). It is very thick however it is still a liquid.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 11

Oh okay. Thanks. thumbs_up.gif

Mariajo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mariajo Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you Janh for the links, I don't have time to check them now but I will.
darcat, I live in Spain. I know the name molasses is "melaza", and there are different kinds made out of wheat, cane, but I can't find any.
In a specialized section I found maple syrup, that's why I asked, but if thickness is the major risk, maybe I could try and use honey, I have different degrees of thickness of honey at home.
What do you think?
although, as tripletmom says, the flavour will change much, but my family has never tasted the authentic gingerbread so... shhh.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 11

Well if your family has never tasted the real gingerbread then I say give it a try. With all the spices in it I'm sure it will still be tasty it will just be a different version lol. Let us know how it goes.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%