Pan Sizes For Tiered Cake, Please Advise.

Decorating By cabincake Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 11:38pm by peacockplace

cabincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabincake Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, I need to make a stacked cake to feed 285. The pans I own are 14", 12", 10", 9", 8", 6". My question is this, I'm going to buy a larger pan, has anyone used the 18" half round? I'm a little scared because it's 4 cakes you have to put together and have all even. And my other question is for the rest of the cake, my pans only go up by 2", does anyone ever stack like that or do you have a greater difference in pan size? I could make a sheet cake to go with it, but I would like at least a 4-tier cake for looks.
Thanks

10 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 11

I've never used the 18" half round pan, but I have and have used the 16" round pan... it's a monstrosity to use too.... very hard to flip, get even and I was terrified of breaking it because of the size. I've done many wedding cakes with only 2 inches been the pan sizes. As for as presentation, to me, I like more than 2 inches in size between the tiers .. however, in your circumstance, you probably won't have that option... have you ever thought about doing the tiered cake with the pans you have and serving sheet cakes to make the 285 serving amount? It would probably make it much easier for you if the bride would agree to that.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 11

I'll offer you a bump in regards to serving amount. Even if you went with a 14, 12, 10, and 8 you will be short on servings.

As for spacing, I do like a 4 inch difference between layers, but I have made stacked cakes with a 2 inch difference, and they don't look bad. It just depends what you're going to do to decorate the edges and if you need more room than a 2 inch difference will allow.

Hope that helped a little.
Angie

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 11

Do they want all those servings in the actual wedding cake-- or could you do a smaller cake and have sheet cakes to make up the additional servings???

cabincake Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 11

The picture the bride showed me is a stunning 5 tier with tan ribbon, white frosting and greenery up the sides on a site called marmaladecakecompany.com. If you scroll through the wedding cake pics I thinks its the 16th one. Does anyone have a guess what sizes those tiers might be?

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabincake

The picture the bride showed me is a stunning 5 tier with tan ribbon, white frosting and greenery up the sides on a site called marmaladecakecompany.com. If you scroll through the wedding cake pics I thinks its the 16th one. Does anyone have a guess what sizes those tiers might be?

Well, that company happens to be owned by fellow CC'er Antonia74. I would PM her and ask her. She's so helpful, and very talented!

Looking at the pic however, I would guess it's a 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 and it appears to be green orchids on the sides. It's a beautiful cake- no surprise there!

cabincake Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the info, I sent her a message. She does beautiful work!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 11

I am doing a wedding cake using the 18" half round in 6 weeks. It will be my first time using it. The advice I was given was to put the first layer together and then when I put the second layer together to make sure I placed it so the center seam was at 90 degree angle from the bottom center seam for better stability. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I just checked and i will be able to use my Wilton wire leveler on the 18" halfs - so that should help my leveling troubles. I will be forced to free hand it on the 14" and 12".

Looking at the cake you mentioned -- I agree with golf girl on the sizes estimate.
Best of luck!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 11

I totally missed this post! icon_lol.gif

Thanks Golfgirl1227, you got it perfectly right anyway! The cake was exactly a 6"/8"/10"/12"/14" with the cymbidium orchids:
LL

LisasCakesNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisasCakesNM Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 11

Yeah for antonia74!!! I am so glad you are on this site!!! I love love love your cakes, you are so talented!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 11

Pretty cake! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%