Mmf Vs. Store Bought

Decorating By 2kiddos Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 12:46pm by bobwonderbuns

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 4:17am
post #1 of 5

I do not use much fondant for covering a cake, however, I do use it to mold things, like crawfish/corn/potatoes, easter bunnies, etc... As of now, I've just used wilton fondant (get it at hobby lobby when they have the 40% off). It breaks down to about 2.59/lb after the discount. I use about 1 lb per cake, depending on what all is on it.
My question is...
Would it be better to make marshmallow fondant? Or is it a total pain to make?
I work full time, and manage to do about 10-15 cupcake cakes each week after work. I don't have tons of free time, but I could make some on my free nights and store for later.
I just didnt know if it were worth saving a couple of $$ and making MMF myself.?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! icon_lol.gif

4 replies
2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 5

*bump

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 5

As far as cost, you're looking at probably around $1.25 for the pound of marshmallows (price from Walmart) and $1.25 for the 2 pounds of powdered sugar (from Target). You will get more than a pound of the MMF when you make it, as opposed to the Wilton fondant. It is actually very simple to make MMF and I can usually get mine together in less than 10 minutes, making it by hand.
Taking all of that into consideration, I guess its a personal preference. I think as far as molding things out of it, the Wilton fondant is a little easier to work with.

Good luck!
Cindy

pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 5

I have found that the wilton fondant doesn't taste nearly as good as mmf, however the wilton fondant is MUCH easier to work with and more pliable....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 5

My personal preference is using the MMF for all things on a cake -- it's edible as opposed to Wilton fondant. However, it takes a little time to go and make it and if your schedule is jammed, you may want to consider buying Satin Ice instead -- it's a little more pricey but will save you the time and it tastes better than Wilton -- you can also add some LorAnn candy oils to the Satin Ice for extra flavor. Hope that helps some!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%