An Even Rockier Day In The Job

Decorating By Susecita Updated 27 Mar 2006 , 5:00am by didi5

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 3:58am
post #1 of 14

Hey guys. No, I dont plan to post these every single day I go to work but today something happened that made me really nervous. So I am trying to decorate cakes to be sold at the store and I am fine at the borders and I am fine at the frosting and I am fine at creating a canvas for a design. Now she hates my floral designs and she turns to me and says "You know you came in with such confidence and I thought that that would make up for the lack of experience but since you are not coming every single day I am even doubting that. Let's see how the day goes." I turned all sorts of shades. I was so sad! But I put on a happy face, went quiet and kept decorating. I think I worked as a trooper given her comment. Then finally I said "You know, I could come in every day for a couple of hours without being paid until I get the hang of it." She said I think that would be a great idea. So Im still getting paid Thursdays and Sats but also have to come in other days to "learn" the trade. I am super excited about that but which she hadn't said what she said. Then she said also "I think you are expecting too much from yourself." Well to be honest, I proved her wrong. I worked the whooooole day like a mule and took charge of things. By the end of the day I was even giving her orders. Before leaving she said "You know, you worked really well today for being your first day. You had great disposition yada yada." At some other point she said "You set a lot of goals for yourself today and have managed them very well." Oh did I mention that of all the cakes I decorated for the store, only one was not sold? Well just a thought. Here is my question should I be alarmed by her comment or more confident by it? She told me to come in whenever I could on Thursday. It's hard to read this woman. Agh. Feedback would be very appreciated. Tank you Tank you. Posting three cakes soon so keep an eye for them ;op

-S

13 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 4:15am
post #2 of 14

Some bosses just don't know how to inspire employees and it always comes up very abrupt. I think she likes your work but doesn't know how to say it. Yes we set high goals for ourselves and feel good about what we do and would be nice to receive appreciation sometimes but we always don't get it. Be happy with your job and take the rudness of the boss as part of the job. Get your experience and if you still don't like her then find another job then you will have more confidence in yourself and the experience. Chin up and show confidence and it will go a long way.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 1:30am
post #3 of 14

of course she loves you now, Your working for free. thats pure profit. Wether or not she likes your cake style is really not a problem what matters is if the customer likes your style. And as long as they are liking it, she will like it. And the bonus for her is you are donating your time.

Sorry if that sounds harsh to you. Its JMO

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 1:47am
post #4 of 14

I would seriously reconsider working for free...I know you want to gain experience, but I'm not sure going in all those extra days for free is the answer. When she said about you only working a few days why didn't you offer to work extra days paid? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not judging you , I would hate to see you get into a bad situation. I hope things get better at work for you.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 2:03am
post #5 of 14

Consider this an apprenticeship of sorts. Obviously this is something you really want or you would not have offered the option of having you come in on your own time. Yes, it is to her benefit however it is to your benefit as well. Perhaps working without the pressure of turning out a certain level of cake will help you as well.

Also, didn't you mention she was a Certified Master Baker? She didn't get that overnight, that's for sure. It sounds like she wants you to succeed, mentioning your confidence and such. I know, it can be intimidating working with people who can turn out a cake in no time flat. The cake store I work at is like that, they are very fast and very good. I pale in comparison...but that is why I am there, to learn all that I can.

Keep your chin up, it sounds like you started to turn things around today, and that is awesome! Keep us posted of your progess, both the good and bad, we are all here to help!

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 2:03am
post #6 of 14

I am with everyone else. In your shoes I would probably have done the same thing. But be careful about being taken advantage of. Bosses love free work.

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 2:05am
post #7 of 14

It sucks having a to adjust to new surroundings and a moody boss on your first day of work! Don't worry about it! That was a good thing that you came in to learn the goings-on over there. Show her that you are a hard worker. She might just be having a bad day or not a very good people person. In any case I say just learn all you can from working at that place. Ask questions, observe everything...when you do decide whether you will stay or leave...at least you come away with knowing so much more than when you started.

Learn from your boss as well...if she doesn't set a good example, at least you'll see how NOT to act and treat your employees. You'll be the better for it.

Stay positive and just don't stop enjoying your work! Good Luck! Hope to get an update on the sitch soon!

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 3:38am
post #8 of 14

Thanks guys. Yes, I figured, the days when I am "working for free" I do not have the pressure to produce and I can hone on my skills. I am seeing that part as an apprenticeship. This is cool with me because right now, money is not an issue. It will become an issue starting June (when I stop receiving Financial aid) and by then I am sure I will be much better to make another decision on whether or not to stay or leave depending on how I am being treated. I do hope I still have my two days paid work though. We will see how things go. Ugh this is so confusing. Anyone else have these kind of grrrrr stories re: their initial days at the job?

-S

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 3:41am
post #9 of 14

I'm sorry...I don't mean to be the negative Nancy of the group....but ummm, is that even legal? You working several days a week and not getting paid? I mean granted you would have to be the one to report it....but I think its unethical on the bakers part too!

I understand wanting the experience.... I just think you have a little more worth in your work then to give it up for free! And she should've appreciated that..... icon_confused.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 3:45am
post #10 of 14

Ok so heres my 2 cents....I think her comments were down right RUDE. When I first read what ya wrote she said, I was thinking to myself, whatta jerk! I dont think you should work for free. If its your job, then ya should get paid. If she's the 'journeyman' and you are the 'apprentice', then maybe get some good practice in. You are very kind to come in for free. Just watch your backicon_wink.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:38am
post #11 of 14

I'd stick with it for awhile but don't take any pooh from this woman, Master Baker or not. Being an MB gives her no right to treat someone badly. She may be trying to push you to do well but that comes with compliments, too and not after you've pushed yourself. Keep working hard and go with your gut--you don't need her to succeed.

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:49am
post #12 of 14

I personally owning my own bakery would never treat an employee like that. But let me share a theory my husband and I have after working in the restuarant and bakery business for 10 years before we opened our own. Always work for someone else before you open your own establishment so you can make your mistakes on someone elses dime. You can learn both positives and negatives from working for other people. Leave that crap and take the best with you and make your own success in the future. Good Luck! Remember if she is the owner she is under great stress to make her dream a success and you may have caught her at the wrong time. It may have not even been you that had bothered her. May there be many beautiful cakes and much success in your future.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:54am
post #13 of 14

This is not a nice woman! I can't imagine working for her for another minute longer than I had to. I'd be looking for a more suitable place. Hate to be negative, but if she's that rude when she hardly knows you, can you imagine what she'll be like when she's "comfortable" with you? Your being inexperienced doesn't give her license to set aside common decency.

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 5:00am
post #14 of 14

Ok, it might sound cliché but what doesn't kill you will make you stronger...or better. The first few days in the job are always dizzying coz your just getting acquainted to their system, meeting new people, learning new things, all these stuff you have to remember etc, etc. I assure you, it will only get better. When you look back after one month you will see that you are improving and you are faster than when you started. Just stick with it and learn as much as you could. When you feel much confident then you can tell them tata!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%