What Makes You Different Than Other Bakeries?

Business By notjustcake Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 12:36am by CakeParlour

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:51am
post #1 of 26

Do you offer any goodies, perks?

25 replies
Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:59am
post #2 of 26

I offer a first anniversary cake to the bride. This is my small gift to the bride for choosing my cake service. This way all the wedding cake can be served at the reception and they have their anniversary cake all boxed in a small box and ready to be put in the freezer. It saves them from trying to get the top layer off and messing the trim or borders. Eveyone loves that I offer that.

Then on the 1st Birthday cake for a baby....I make them their own little personal one layer 6 inch cake for them to dig into for pictures. This is my little gift to the baby. Both of these PERKS have helped my business to grow and be something different than other bakeries or bakers in my area.

Diane

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:05am
post #3 of 26

I feel like my cakes are better... icon_smile.gif ---but aside from that, I can spend more time on each cake than other bakeries can.

Oops, just re-read. I'm not an actual bakery--just home based icon_smile.gif . So my answer may not apply!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:17am
post #4 of 26

I give the brides a 6in cake for free, either as the top tier of their cake or as a fresh cake made for them on their anniversary.

notjustcake Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:29am
post #5 of 26

I saw these perks on a website and liked them I was wonering if anybody else did it I love that idea,

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:51am
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakery

I offer a first anniversary cake to the bride. This is my small gift to the bride for choosing my cake service. This way all the wedding cake can be served at the reception and they have their anniversary cake all boxed in a small box and ready to be put in the freezer. It saves them from trying to get the top layer off and messing the trim or borders. Eveyone loves that I offer that.

Then on the 1st Birthday cake for a baby....I make them their own little personal one layer 6 inch cake for them to dig into for pictures. This is my little gift to the baby. Both of these PERKS have helped my business to grow and be something different than other bakeries or bakers in my area.

Diane

I offer both of these things, too, and my customers really seem to appreciate them.

I also offer delivery (free within 10 miles one way, small charge for over 10 miles) for my non-wedding cakes, which people always seem very happy about. thumbs_up.gif

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:16am
post #7 of 26

I give my customers good service and make them feel welcome in my shop. I am truly thankful for their orders, they keep me going... without them I would not be in business.

My customers would rather receive service and pay more, than go somewhere unfriendly and deal with unknowledgeable employees or cranky business owners.
mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 11:38am
post #8 of 26

I am opening the first week of May, so I'm technically not open yet...but I do work from home right now.

I offer a complimentary 6" tier for wedding cakes.
I do many different edible favors for weddings and parties.
I offer organic baked goods. (this has opened up a whole new market for me.)
I offer sugar-free baked goods.
I deliver (not many do around here).
I can do dessert buffets for parties.

My prices are still reasonable, but I have very personalized service, a range of flavors available, and always bake fresh.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 26

to mypastrychef........I just looked at your web site. Goodness! Your cakes are absolutely gorgeous! I saved it to my favs for inspiration. You truly are talented!!!

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawyer

to mypastrychef........I just looked at your web site. Goodness! Your cakes are absolutely gorgeous! I saved it to my favs for inspiration. You truly are talented!!!

Thanks! It appears that you are talented as well. Nice photo gallery.
mpc

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 8:33pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypastrychef

...My customers would rather receive service and pay more, than go somewhere unfriendly and deal with unknowledgeable employees or cranky business owners.
mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

Totally agree. My wedding cake package includes me staying to cut and serve the wedding cake. Based on the feedback I get, this is the best service I offer and since it's included in the package pricing, the brides feel they get it "at no extra charge".

Again, relating to service ..... everything we offer (cakes and catering) is in a package deal, which makes it easier for the bride to make sure she has everything she needs without making 2000 different decisions. I get lots of comments on how this package pricing is a great ease of mind for them. Our philosophy is to "keep it simple" for them. We don't charge extra for labor, plates, forks, etc.,.....it's all included. Brides prefer not being "nickel and dimed" to death.

lsawyer Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypastrychef

...My customers would rather receive service and pay more, than go somewhere unfriendly and deal with unknowledgeable employees or cranky business owners.
mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

Totally agree. My wedding cake package includes me staying to cut and serve the wedding cake. Based on the feedback I get, this is the best service I offer and since it's included in the package pricing, the brides feel they get it "at no extra charge".

Again, relating to service ..... everything we offer (cakes and catering) is in a package deal, which makes it easier for the bride to make sure she has everything she needs without making 2000 different decisions. I get lots of comments on how this package pricing is a great ease of mind for them. Our philosophy is to "keep it simple" for them. We don't charge extra for labor, plates, forks, etc.,.....it's all included. Brides prefer not being "nickel and dimed" to death.

I'm not in business, but I have a question about staying to cut the cake. I'm curious if they ever ask you to reduce your price if they don't want you to stay to do the cutting. Also, some venues charge a cutting fee. Do the venues waive that fee if you're there, or do they still insist on charging the bride? I'm just wondering if that has ever presented a problem for you.

indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 26

If they don't want me to stay and cut the cake, I have an a la carte cake price....we call it "D&R" (Drop-n-Run). The price gets you the cake, delivery and set-up. The package price includes punch, cups, mints, e linens, etc.

The a la carte price is used when the facility allows ONLY the wedding cake to be brought in from the outside ... no punch, etc. These are usually the same places that charge a cake-cutting fee. Places who allow outside caterers usually don't apply a cake cutting fee.

I would not sell the package unless I stay and cut it simply because I have linens, punch bowls/fountains, and other equipment at the facility that I don't want the bride to have to be responsible for. If they don't want me to cut it, then they are buying the cake-only.

lsawyer Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 26

Drop and Run???? Oh, that is toooo funny!

OK--now I understand. I didn't realize that you provided other services, too. You must be one busy person!!!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:59am
post #15 of 26

Let's see...I never use a mix for anything,nor do I use shortening, artificial flavors or colours. My carrot cake has won the state fair in every state I've lived in ( 4, and I plan to win NC this year) and for every dollar spent on our pastries, 10 cents goes to a fund that ships cookies etc to deployed military units in Iraq and Afghanistan, birthday cakes for kids in non-custodial foster care, and desserts for our two local homeless shelters at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:07am
post #16 of 26

txkat wins! thumbs_up.gif Your actions are very inspiring!

How ironic!! Hubby and I were talking just two days ago. We are adament about "you have to give back" and we've been tossing around a number of ideas of how we can do that. Since my first marriage was a violent marriage, I will be donating 2 cakes a month to the local battered women's shelter. It must be hard enough having to escape with your children to a shelter like that and then spend your and/or your child's birthday there, so we are going to do our small part to try to make it a little better for them. thumbs_up.gif We are also exploring how we (as a caterer) can help the food banks and similar organizations.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:17am
post #17 of 26

I really like doing all of the charity work. Once you meet a child of 7 or 8 who has never had a birthday cake of their own before, you're hooked.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:21am
post #18 of 26

I just bake from home for now...does that count?

I think what makes me different has become my 3D cakes as that is becoming the main reason people are ordering from me. It is rare that I even do a sheet or round cake anymore, and even weddings are few and far between. Almost all of my weekend orders have become something 3D. I never thought when I started decorating for fun 7 years ago that I would end up mostly making 3D cakes!

I wouldn't mind donating cakes but besides my church I am not sure who I would choose right now. I would probably want to choose the children's hospital since I have a friend whose 14 mos old daughter fought leukemia nearly all her short life and then passed away last year...I would love to brighten those kids' days with a really cool cake... but I would rather be officially licensed before doing that since the kids are sick. (I was working on getting my paperwork ready to get licensed and then OOPS we got pg and so I have to put that off for awhile yet. So I'll keep going on my word of mouth weekend cake orders until I'm able to put the time and money towards really making this thing real!)

notjustcake Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 7:41pm
post #19 of 26

I am a true believer of helping the community also. I am a PTA parent and know what is like to have to call retailers and request donations for carnival and bingo's (to raise funds to buy new equipment). So when I do have my business I would probably be a big sponsor of education. All of us find a cause that hits home but also understand that we can't help everybody either we all have to do a little to help big, may be all of you with a set business should consider that as part of your perks sometimes we don't even know how much is needed. I guess I have been doing my share I do donate a lot of cakes for the teachers and cake walks. Good for all of you sometimes customers like the perks and the fact that you care! I called a photographer to request a donation and she said she volunteers her time and money to take pictures of families that have lost children and gets their pictures taken free of charge. She says at a time like this parents don't think of getting a last picture of taken with their child. It almost brought tears to my eyes and although she didn't donate anything I kept her number for when I need pictures I remeber her kindness.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:08am
post #20 of 26

Forgive me if I'm not getting this right, but she takes pics of dead children? icon_confused.gif Am I missing something here?

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:20am
post #21 of 26

every 1st birthday I give a 1 layer smash cake......

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:29am
post #22 of 26

I think it's probably for babies or very young children. I've seen this done a lot, not personally, but online, especially if the child has been sick from birth and has never come home. Most of the pics I've seen are of mom and dad holding baby, or baby wrapped in a blanket, etc. They are done very tastefully. My mom lost a baby back in 1970 and she didn't even get to hold her let alone get a picture of her while she was alive (she lived for 2 weeks, but never left the hospital). Things were very different back then. Sometimes that picture is all they will have to take home, besides maybe a blanket.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:12am
post #23 of 26

Ok...that makes more sense. I just couldn't get my head around that.

bakerladybec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerladybec Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:58am
post #24 of 26

I'm new to this site and I have been reading some of the posts, I'm fascinated.! I own a small town bakery in OHio, and some of the posts really struck some interest, like when I read about donating a dime of every dollar toward childrens charities. If it's ok I beleive I'm going to start doing something similar to that here. we have some group homes here in our area and foster care programs, I think I'll check into, thank you so much for the idea. icon_rolleyes.gif
becmax1

notjustcake Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:34pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Forgive me if I'm not getting this right, but she takes pics of dead children? icon_confused.gif Am I missing something here?

Yes children

CakeParlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeParlour Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:36am
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Let's see...I never use a mix for anything,nor do I use shortening, artificial flavors or colours. My carrot cake has won the state fair in every state I've lived in ( 4, and I plan to win NC this year) and for every dollar spent on our pastries, 10 cents goes to a fund that ships cookies etc to deployed military units in Iraq and Afghanistan, birthday cakes for kids in non-custodial foster care, and desserts for our two local homeless shelters at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

I love that! And I love your quote at the bottom too. Think of all the nasty, pre-packaged stuff that goes into cakes! I'm sure your customers can really taste a difference in the quality of yours! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%