Ruffle And Wrap Cakes

Decorating By eleets_treats Updated 25 Mar 2006 , 2:20am by eleets_treats

eleets_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eleets_treats Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 6

i found these cakes on the web (google search) and i was wondering if anyone knows how thay are done as i would love to learn these techniques.
LL
LL

5 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 6

It looks like they used maybe modeling chocolate to do these. The top with the ruffles looks like they just made strips of the chocolate and basicly wrapped the whole cake in variouse layer of the stuff. The bottom onelooks like they cut the chocolate into squares, pinched the the center of it to make the ruffles cone shape and attached it to the cake. I'm thinking they used royal icing for both. I don't know what else they could have used to attach them. Hope that helps a little.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 6

It definitely looks like chocolate, however to me it looks like they probably spread a thin layer of chocolate over a marble slap and then let it set up a little and then scraped it up....causing it to ruffle........kinda the same idea as making chocolate curls....only not letting it curl onto itself....then it looks like they just placed them around the various layers of the cake....that's my stab at it anyhow!!! LOL....those cakes are gorgeous though!!! I would love to know the technique...did you find them on a site where you could contact the maker???

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 6

It definitely looks like chocolate, however to me it looks like they probably spread a thin layer of chocolate over a marble slap and then let it set up a little and then scraped it up....causing it to ruffle........kinda the same idea as making chocolate curls....only not letting it curl onto itself....then it looks like they just placed them around the various layers of the cake....that's my stab at it anyhow!!! LOL....those cakes are gorgeous though!!! I would love to know the technique...did you find them on a site where you could contact the maker???

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 6

There is a cake very similar to this in Mich Turner's new book "Splendid Cakes." There are other fab cakes in there as well and is good investment if you are into choc. dec. Choc. is my first choice for dec. You can get it on ebay. If you want I can send the directions sometime this weekend. I may be able to email the picture too. Just don't have the time as I will be baking most of the weekend. You can get the book on Amazon.

eleets_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eleets_treats Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 2:20am
post #6 of 6

that would be great if you could send the instructions, pm or email me [email protected] or just post them here. i will go to the book shop today and see if they have it in. thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%