Ice Cream Cake ?

Decorating By saj_stuff Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 3:00am by saj_stuff

saj_stuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saj_stuff Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 6

I've been asked to make an ice cream cake and I've researched the site and am ready...except for one question. I have already baked the cake and have it frozen. Is it okay for me to just torte the cake, put the ice cream (shaped in the same pan as the cake) in the middle and then decorate it or do I need to thaw the cake first? To me it seems the cake is awfully hard, but wouldn't it be when it's finished and frozen...or does the buttercream make it a little "softer"? Help please! icon_confused.gif

5 replies
countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 6

icon_smile.gif When I worked at the little ice cream store in town.....I did not freeze my cake layers. I did a few times.....I just froze my ice cream layer, then put it in between my layers and then iced. I did some in bc, others I stirred the ice cream and iced with ice cream on the outside. HTH. icon_smile.gif

HeatherDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherDawn Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 6

Normally, you wouldn't want your layers to be frozen completly before you ice them, it can cause problems with the icing when it starts thawing out.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 6

I have a question to go along with the icecream cakes: Can you use brownie instead of cake or would they be too hard when frozen?

HeatherDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherDawn Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:17am
post #5 of 6

I think brownie would be wonderful. Shouldn't be any different than a cake frozen. UNless your brownies are hard as a rock to begin withlLOL

saj_stuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saj_stuff Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:00am
post #6 of 6

I went ahead and thawed out my cake before putting it all together. I think it'll be much better that way. I appreciate all your help! I'll have to ask my neighbor how it turns out...it's for her birthday...who knows, maybe she'll let me try a piece. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%