Difference In Marshmallow Fondant And Rolled Butter Cream?

Decorating By dara64 Updated 26 Mar 2006 , 10:13pm by tinatchou

dara64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dara64 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:26am
post #1 of 16

Our instructor demonstrated a rolled butter cream. It was easy to roll out and work with, a bit greasy though. How is the marshmallow fondant compared to the rolled butter cream? I see many people raving about the marshmallow fondant on here. My instructor said it was too sticky and did not seem too impressed. What is the cake central consensus on this?

15 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:36am
post #2 of 16

I have not attempted the rolled buttercream. I did get brave enough to make some Marshmallow fondant and loved it. It was easy to make and easy to work with. I did not fine it to be sticky. I have not covered a cake with it though. I have only used mmf for accents and modeling. I was turned off to fondant after tasting the Wilton fondant, but the mmf has a nice taste and will use it to cover a cake if the occasion comes up. I'm just not sure how people in my area will like the fondant. Most people are used to buttercream.

dara64 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:40am
post #3 of 16

Thanks for the info, I think I will try a batch of the mmf myself .The rolled BC didnt taste to bad, I havent tasted the Wilton so I cant compare.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:49am
post #4 of 16

Dara64...MMF is awesome to work with. My first fondant cake I used wilton's fondant. It broke and tore and looked terrible. Tasted just as bad as it looked icon_wink.gif
Someone on here suggested I try and make the mmf...I did and I LOVED it. It was not hard to make and when I rolled it out it has a bit of elasticity, it was much easier to cover cake. I made my first wedding cake using mmf...it was great. I dunno what your instructor is talkin' about, it being sticky and all...I just love using the stuff!
(like your avatar!)

ariun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ariun Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:50am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dara64

My instructor said it was too sticky

I've never found mmf too sticky, as I live in WaterlessWorld -- I think it's only sticky if there isn't enough powdered sugar in it, or if the weather's too humid. You could also try greasing your hands (I use vegetable oil) or cornflour and it's really easy to handle.

dara64 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:58am
post #6 of 16

Im going to give it a try this weekend, all of yall can't be wrong!!! icon_wink.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 16

I am going to try MMf next week? has anyone out there used Choco-Pan? If so what do you think. I am using Satin Ice right now and find it much better than Wilton's.

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 16

I don't know why but I can not roll my MMF in a circle right. Mine is never right..Ij ust buy wilton fondant for practice but hopefull I can get that MMF.

tinatchou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinatchou Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 16

How is the taste of the MMF? Is it at least edible as opposed to the Wilton fondant? I have avoided using fondant just because of the taste even though the presentation is beautiful. I am going to try it on a cake next week. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, what size cake will one batch cover?

Thanks.

Wendoger Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 16

I dunno what choco pan is...???? Is it another brand of fondant? I keep hearing about FondX....all good things. Tastes good, easy to work with....think I will try that stuff next.

craftst3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftst3 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 16

I have tried the buttercream rolled fondant and that worked out okay. I do not care for the Wilton fondant as it seems too dry. How do you make marshmallow fondant and what is the difference in that and the rolled buttercream?

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 16

The few times I used Rolled buttercream it cracked on me, but I prefer the taste to MMf. My last batch of MMF was the best yet, only 6 cups of sugar and added glycerin to it. It is still pliable, and has been in a bag for 2 weeks now.

Wilton not my favorite taste but I don't mind it, and some of my students don't mind the taste either, others hate it. I find it easy to work with and never really had any trouble with it.

If you like marshmallows, icing sugar and whatever flavouring you put in, then you will like MMF.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:27pm
post #13 of 16

MMF tastes like the orange circus peanuts - do you remember those? I love MMF. It's great for covering a cake and for making figures! I tried the rolled BC recipe on this site and had a hard time with it tearing. It tasted good, but was a pain to cover a cake with.

dara64 - would you be willing to share the rolled BC your instructor used.

Wendoger Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 16

MMF...
http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html
This is the way I do it...but sometimes I use less powdered sugar. Your gonna love it!

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 16

Hey guys - I started making MMF a couple weeks ago and I am SOOOO pleased with it! I found the best flavor was vanilla with a touch of almond. Just using one or the other tasted odd to me, although MMF tastes a milliion times better than regular fondant even without regular fondant. I've always used Wilton but had to apologize to people eating the cake for the taste and I certainly don't want to do that - so I'm really psyched about MMF. I tried Satin Ice and it's great - tastes so much better than Wilton's and work just as well - but it's so expensive. The one thing I've noticed about MMF so far is that it doesn't seem to smooth over the imperfections in the buttercream as well as regular fondant so the few practice cakes I've done have looked a bit lumpy - but I'm going to try again and work harder to smooth out the BC. It could be my fault, because occasionally I've had that problem with regular fondant too.

If you go to Wilton's website and on their Discussion Forum - go to the Recipes forum and there's a post by Bunnywoman about how to make MMF, and a recipe for a smaller batch of it so you can try it out and work with it before trying out the big batch. She's great - she gives lots of tips for using it. Search under her name Bunnywoman or just go to the Recipes forum - it's probably on one of the first 3 pages because someone is always responding to it.

I love being able to color a whole batch at once while making it so if I do need to cover a cake - I don't have to worry about kneading it all in. or you can make it white and knead in different colors later, just like regular fondant. So far, I'm really pleased with it. You can add gumpaste and do everything with it that you can with real fondant - it just tastes better and is a whole lot cheaper! Like the other ladies - I also don't use all the sugar it calls for - but I think it depends on humidity and so forth.

Anyway, have fun!

Melissa

tinatchou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinatchou Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 10:13pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to try it. I told my neighbor I would do a cake for her at no charge if she would let me try the MMF.

Wish me luck!! :

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%