Lotus Flower

Decorating By fearlessbaker Updated 24 Mar 2006 , 3:09am by Wendoger

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 1:33am
post #1 of 6

i need to make a lotus flower and lotus blossoms for a Monet cake. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Thanks

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 1:45am
post #2 of 6

I tried this last Summer. I had a problem finding something that would give the correct shape to the petals, because you need something that will not only curve the sides of the petals, but also the ends. I tried large pasta shells, but the gumpaste stuck. I was in Dollar Tree and spotted ice cream scoops, more oval than round, black handle with red cardboard backing (not the kind with the lever on the side to release the product). I tried it and it worked perfectly. I made my own templates for the petals, in three sizes, each about 3/8 inch shorter than the other.

For the centers I modeled them after a bottle cork. They sell corks in different sizes at AC Moore now, about 6 for $1.

I am still working on something to use for the buds.

ariun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ariun Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:34am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

i need to make a lotus flower and lotus blossoms for a Monet cake. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Thanks

Ruth Seidler of JollyBe does beautiful lotuses (attached below). I think they're painted fondant -- go to the web page itself and you can see the flowers better by clicking the original pic.

I've never done one myself, but perhaps a painting would work? If you do a search for "painting" in the gallery, you'll see some gorgeous Impressionist-style cakes, including Talmas' "Victorian Inn Portrait" and KayDay's "Painting on Buttercream" (she also explains how she did it in the comments section) and ellyrae's "Monet on cake-The Dance."

Duuno if that helps.
LL
LL
LL

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:40am
post #4 of 6

Wow! Those cakes are gorgeous! So whats the url of the website ya got those pics from?

ariun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ariun Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 2:50am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

So whats the url of the website ya got those pics from?

It's above each picture in the Description line.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 3:09am
post #6 of 6

...duh....I'm gonna blame that one on a 'blond moment'...thanks icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%