Mmf Consistency

Decorating By baker2699 Updated 22 Mar 2006 , 10:02pm by cakeatty

baker2699 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker2699 Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 15

Ok heres the skinny lol, I am planning on making a cake today with mmf and the last time I made one witch happens to be the first one I made (the bunny cake in my photos) I think it came out a little dry. Is the consistency supposed to more soft like play-do or is it normal that you have to go work out before you roll the stuff out because its so hard? also the cake I'm making today will be square is there an easier way to do mmf on a square cake?

14 replies
KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 15

I like mine to be more like play-doh. Grease up your hands with Crisco and your work surface too - it will get more pliable. As for covering a square cake - I haven't quite mastered that yet icon_evil.gif , but there are several threads on it. I think I've heard to work from the corner in.

baker2699 Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks I'll give it a try!

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 15

I always found my MMF a little dry also and I used the crisco grease and it worked but also to do a square cake I use gumtex in it and it seems to make it more pliable or strechable (the french coming out in me).

Hope this helps
Vie

KittisKakes Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 15
baker2699 Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks KittisKakes for all your help I'm just starting as you can probably tell I think with my square cake I may have bitten off more than I can chew lol, Oh and by the way should I use the Crisco sparingly? Will it alter the taste any?

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 15

I use Crisco LIBERALLY with MMF. Can't tell any difference in the taste. But, it vastly improves the texture when it's dry.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 15

I use Crisco LIBERALLY with MMF. Can't tell any difference in the taste. But, it vastly improves the texture when it's dry.

cakeatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatty Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 15

Baker, I had to rework some of my MMF last night with some Crisco, microwaved it for about 20 seconds and it absolutely worked. Mine was still a tiny bit sticky but with a little bit of PS, it rolled out like a champ. Now if I can just make my fondant roses look like flowers and not something out of my step-daughter's Play-Doh stacks icon_smile.gif

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 15

I have the same problem with the MMF. It really is a workout to roll it out!! The last time I tried it, it was dry and VERY hard to roll. If you make the texture like play dough will you still be able to make roses? Or will the petals droop until each layer of petals touches the layer below. I have yet to make roses like Phoov. Hers are absolutely wonderful.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 15

Quick question.....I know how to make buttercream roses, but how do you make roses out of fondant? usaribbon.gif

Thanks
Connie

KittisKakes Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 15

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/lessons/gproses.htm
here's a link for gumpaste roses, same thing for fondant. It's detailed, but I like the pictures

KittisKakes Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 15
ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 9:19pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks Kitti, That helps a lot, I appreciate it! usaribbon.gif

Thanks
Connie

cakeatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatty Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 10:02pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks Kitti! I'm making some fondant roses for my Wilton 3 class and right now, they're all turning out kind of funky looking. At least now I'll have some other pics to go by! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%