"it's Just A Cake"

Decorating By Jorre Updated 4 Apr 2007 , 4:28am by prterrell

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 3:53am
post #1 of 23

This has been one nightmarish week for me, I agreed to make a cake to be auctioned off for my kid's softball league but then a friends wife passed away leaving a 5yr old, so I did a lot of baking, put together a basket of food/snacks and got some gifts for the small child....then I get a call from my child's school telling me she was injured and I needed to come right away. She and another child collided and her entire forehead was black/blue and swelling rapidly. icon_eek.gif Had to keep her awake and watch her swelling for 24 hours as it was so close to her optic nerve the Dr. was very concerned. icon_cry.gif

Kid is fine now and this very tired mommy ended up staying up till 3am last night finishing a dummy cake (will bake a real one at a later time for winner). My child had her game at 8:30am this morning and auctioned started at 11am so I left it at home. Part-way through the game another parent tells me they already have the auction going and the basket of partygoods/favors that is to accompany my cake is there and there is no room left to display my dummy cake.

I leave the game, find the coordinator who tells me "Well it's JUST a cake...do you really need to display it? We have your gift certificate for a real cake in the basket after all." icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif I am missing my kids game now to hear this??? My kid starts crying her head hurts from the field, so I left to deal with that and another mom who had seen my dummy got the tablespace cleared for me and I setup my cake a few feet back on a large table (out of child reach) with a sign that said "Do not touch the cake" right after the game.

I just went to collect my dummy (sold for $130) and OMG....people broke the heads off 2 of the figures, broke the hair off the others...dug their fingernails into the fondant stepping stones, broke the food on the little plates.... What on earth is wrong with people? What would posses you to destroy a cake that was clearly marked as a display and said Do not touch?

Here's the dummy cake before it got mangled, at least it brought in some funds for the Softball league.

22 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:14am
post #2 of 23

First, I am sorry about everything you had to go thru especially the near eye damge with your child. OMG that alone is nerve wracking.

Second, to answer your question ...... because people are IDIOTS! icon_eek.gif

Fabulous cake!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 4:55am
post #3 of 23

OMG, I'm so sorry you've had this horrible week.

Glad your daughter is doing well.

Your cake is beautiful, whimsical and charming icon_smile.gif

As for the broken cake - some adults seem to have no respect for others property, so their children, also have no respect...

Was in T.J.Maxx last week and two young boys were pulling feathers off a Mardi Gras style wall mask while their mothers were laughing at how cute they were.

A beautiful $80.00 (discounted price) mask destroyed icon_mad.gif

LizzyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyB Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:16am
post #4 of 23

What a rotten time you've had this week. Good to know though that your little one is OK. Hope this week is a better one for you. Your cake is beautiful by the way.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:26am
post #5 of 23

Wow! What is with people icon_mad.gif They just have NO idea all the work, time and money you put into that cake. Which is GREAT btw. People can be so rude.

I'm glad your cake brought in a nice amount. That cake should cost more if someone were to buy it directly from you so they got a good deal.

So happy your daughter and her schoolmate were ok. thumbs_up.gif

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:29am
post #6 of 23

Oh, the nerve of some people! Everytime I make a cake for my friend she says, "It must be your mixer because mine never turn out this good!" Sure it's just my mixer, it has nothing to do with talent of any kind as long as you can turn on a mixer your set! URGG!! icon_evil.gif I love her to death but she doesn't give compliments well!
The last cake I made for her was the Strawberry Shortcake one in my pictures and she said, Oh I just love your simple little cakes!" icon_twisted.gif SIMPLE, there was nothing simple about that cake!

Friends ya gotta love em!
Oh and by the way, Your cake is fabulous! (What kind of mixer do you use?) Just kidding! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:36am
post #7 of 23

I'm sorry you had such a rough time. People can be so rude. Your cake is beautiful!!

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:55am
post #8 of 23

Jorre, what a beautiful cake! I'm happy it raised a fair amount of money, and good to know your child is ok. Sorry you had such a rough week.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:58am
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakesmom

Oh I just love your simple little cakes!" icon_twisted.gif SIMPLE, there was nothing simple about that cake!

Friends ya gotta love em!

Angelcakes, I would have said this before checking out the cake you made, because nothing about any of the cakes I see on this site is 'simple'- sounds to me like you need to find a new friend, or at least tell her flat out she needs to go to the store and find some sensitivity, maybe pick up some manners while she's at it thumbs_up.gif

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 23

Jorre, I'm so sorry that these people did not respect your sign or your beautiful display cake. I know that my local mall hosts a gingerbread competition every Christmas, and they have to place the entries inside an acrylic box to keep people's hands off them......sounds like that may have been the only way to keep your cake safe! Glad to hear it raised a good amount of money though, and that your child is going to be okay.

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 23

That cake is thoroughly amazing!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 23

Jorre: anyone that thinks that is "just a cake" needs counseling!! I hope your child is alright! And the family that lost the Mom!
I'm sitting here trying to get distracted because I just buried my 16 year old cat this morning, Kelly.
Hope you can re-cooperate after a horrible week!! Thank you for sharing your story!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:25pm
post #13 of 23

i truly don't understand what is wrong with people really and truly it is so disheartining sometimes...

But what a gorgeous cake - and what a rough week . Pat yourself on the back give your daughter a big hug and remember you did a good thing despite some peoples boorish behavior.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 10:49pm
post #14 of 23

In short...the reason why the cake was messed w/ is b/c the note clearly said please do NOT touch. I would hope it wasn't an adult that messed it up, but some adults are just little kids w/ an adult body. It's as though they took the request as a challenge. Sorry your cake got "poked and prodded" thankfully they didn't do a full autopsy though thumbsdown.gif

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 11:05pm
post #15 of 23

I wonder what would have happened had the sign said "Please touch"

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 11:15pm
post #16 of 23

Oh what an awful week. I love the cake. It is adorable. I can't believe people would do that. I noticed that people are becoming more and more inconsiderate of other people and their things. My child would have been in big trouble if she had touched that cake. She already knows she's not allowed to touch my cakes. Maybe we need to start a cake guarding service...

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 11:18pm
post #17 of 23

The details on your cake are amazing! people just suck! All of my display cakes at A.C. Moore are ruined. The cakes are dirty, all of the flowers are broken, the birds are gone and the bow is smashed. And the cakes are high up out of childrens reach!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 11:22pm
post #18 of 23

Don't get me started on that "Its just a cake!!!!!!!" Geez! Yeah, let her try it!!! icon_mad.gif

On the other hand, I am going goo goo, ga, ga over your cake!!!

Fabuluos molding and shaping and sculpting!!! Just FAB!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 11:28pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

First, I am sorry about everything you had to go thru especially the near eye damge with your child. OMG that alone is nerve wracking.

Second, to answer your question ...... because people are IDIOTS! icon_eek.gif

Fabulous cake!!

Second the idiot comment and your cake is the cutest too. I can't believe the person told you it was just a cake. I wonder how much they would have gotten if the cake hadn't been displayed.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 11:28pm
post #20 of 23

I didn't read the other posts, but i absolutely love the little tiny cake that the one girl has by her. That is such a cute idea!! Great job on the cake, and so sorry to hear about your horrible week, and it really stinks that people are so mean like that.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 11:33pm
post #21 of 23

sorry this happened, adding to your stressful week!

an idea for next time is to take an enlarged framed photo to the auction instead , that way no one can mangle the dummy (or just use a previous cake you've already photographed ) and then you can replicate it fresh for the winning bidder.

how rude- good thing it wasnt the bidders CAKE that they had to take home and eat!

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm
post #22 of 23

Don't get me started on "It's just a cake!" Sorry about your week, but glad to hear that your cake brought in so much $$.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:28am
post #23 of 23

When I worked at a groc store bakery, we had the worst problem with the ADULTS destroying our display cakes. Even though there are signs all over the place saying "For display only. Please do not touch." People for some reason feel compelled to poke it. And as they are doing it, they turn to you and ask "Is this real?". One time a kid actually said "Mo-om, the sign says not to touch!".

We had a really nice Christmas display set up this past year and a lady decided to squeeze through the 6 inches between the display and a table that had been set in front of it that had actual items for sale on it. Needless to say she knocked one of the display cakes on the floor, completely ruining it, and partially messed up two others. Now there was tons of room all around the other 3 sides of the table, so I don't know why she felt she had to squeeze between the sale table and the display.

Gah! People lose all common sense when they leave their houses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%