Help Now, Please!! Edible Image Emergency!!

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 1 Apr 2007 , 2:03pm by SweetResults

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 17

HELP!
I am making a 9' round cake, using Crusting Buttercream recipe and colored it black with Americolor.
Icing crusted and I smoothed it out using the Melvira Method.
Dampened the top of cake w/water and put on edible image.
The edible image disinegrated on top of the cake and turned into mush.
Husband is out getting a new on at the store.
WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!?

16 replies
korensmommy Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 17

Anyone know??

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 17

I've never put an image on top of "black" icing but it sounds like too much moisture to me. I put my images on top of crusting BC though, so I don't see that as being a problem!

korensmommy Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 17

MrsMissey, thanks so much!
So, you are saying just put it on top of the CBC without any water?

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 17

If the top is completely crusted over, the instructions say to mist with water lightly the area that you wish to place the edible image. Do you think you could have used too much water when you sprayed the top?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 17

I always let my BC crust then lightly mist with water and have never had a problem with the image disolving. It sounds like maybe too much water. It takes very little.

korensmommy Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 17

yes...I don't have a spraybottle so I washed my hands and 'flicked' on a bunch of water. It left big drops in some areas.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 17

If I had to guess, I would say that it was probably too much water and it just all went to goo when you placed the image on there. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I picked up a cheap spray bottle that I use to mist the top of the cake where I will put my image. Just barely mist the area and it should come out fine. Next time, I bet your cake will come out perfectly.

korensmommy Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks everyone for your help. My husband just tried 3 stores and everyone who knows how to use the edible image equiptment has left for the day. Said they will be in tomorrow morning & cake isn't due till noon. Boy...i hate cutting it this close!

MrsMissey Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 17

Another way to do it is if your icing has crusted, take a damp paper towel and lay it on the icing for a minute or so...then remove the paper towel and apply the image.

cruizze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cruizze Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 17

Also keep in mind that when you place the image on top of the black frosting that has been dampened it may leech the color. By misting the top you are soften the crusting that has formed.
What we do, when working with dark colors, is to apply a thin layer of white BC to the back of the image and then place it on top of the cake. This create barrier between the dark color and image. We usually put a border around the edge so it hides andy imperfections. Good luck.

korensmommy Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 17

Here is the finished product...thanks for everyones help!
As you can see, it was supposed to be a super-easy cake, but my 1st time with an edible image caused me some grief!!
The image got washed out by the flash, it's much darker.
LL

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 1:47pm
post #13 of 17

Did you print the image yourself or buy it? If you bought it, where do you buy them? I've never done images so I am clueless on the process. Thanks.

korensmommy Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 17

Cupcakemom, I see you are in NJ (I'm from LongIsland!)
I got it at Stop&Shop, I'm pretty sure you have that in NJ. Or try any grocery store, it was just a few dollars.
It is SO easy and people love it!
If you decide to try it, PM me and I'll walk you thru the whole process (it's easy!)

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 1:54pm
post #15 of 17

THanks! I had no idea you could buy them. Just go to the bakery? I will pm you to walk me through it. Thanks. How much do you charge for an image cake?

MrsMissey Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 1:59pm
post #16 of 17

That turned out great ...love the flames too! icon_smile.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:03pm
post #17 of 17

Looks great! Black color is super! Glad it all worked out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%