Fondant Wheels

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 31 Mar 2007 , 4:57pm by notjustcake

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 11:08am
post #1 of 8

Hi for those of you who have made fondant wheels for car cakes, does anyone have any how to tips? I only made wheels once and it was for a Wiggles car cake, and the wheels are well...covered with colored triangles so it doesn't count I guess. I am trying to make Lighting McQueen's wheelsBday cake is for April 7th so I'm trying for the first time to do my things in advance.

Picture was taken from a website

cake by very talented Boonenati

I wish I could make wheels like this!!!
LL
LL

7 replies
SelphieAerith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SelphieAerith Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 11:33am
post #2 of 8

Why couldn't you use the bottom of a cupcuke, you could just hollow out the center for the wheel insert,cover with black fondant and make the insert of the wheel with red fondant. Piece it together and then you have a wheel. Just an idea I'm not sure if it would work. Good luck

SelphieAerith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SelphieAerith Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 11:34am
post #3 of 8

lol...I cant type today cupcake even.

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 11:45am
post #4 of 8

I like the cupcake idea, too. I also remember someone making their wheels out of rice crispie treats and covering in fondant. You might also be able to use a shortcake pan, you know the kind that look like half a doughnut? I use one when making 3D pumpkin cupcakes every year at Halloween. (I just sandwich two opposite sides together). I love how it creates a natural indentation on the top of the cake, I just don't know if it would be the right size for your wheels, or not. Hope you get the answer you are looking for!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 11:46am
post #5 of 8

I've used mini donuts and covered them with black fondant and placed the hub cap of a different color inside the middle. Worked pretty good.

aandsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandsmommy Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 8

I use Oreo's and cover them with fondant and use dried fondant pieces for the hubcap.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 8

Icingsprinkles, have you had a look at my website where i have instructions on how to make this cake??

http://www.how2cakes.com

Look at the car instructions first, and then take a look at the make up bag instructions. Proceed to the third page of the make up bag instructions, which has instructions on how to make the make up decorations. The wheels are made the same way that I made the make up compact. Once you've finished those steps, then cut out a piece of red fondant using the same sized cutter you used to cut the center out, and stick it in the center, to form the hubcap. Smooth it, and then stick small pieces of black fondant in it to give it the accents. Make sure you dont take out the wheel out of the cutter until you've finished with the wheel to stop it from losing it's shape.

HTH
cheers
Nati

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much I would have never know that had you not told me!!!! I love your website I so look up to you Nati some day I hope to be as good as you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%