Florida Keys Cake Idea?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 20 Mar 2006 , 8:47pm by JennT

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 8

Help! Need inspiration of a Florida keys cake. What are the colors of the Florida keys? Should I do a beach cake?

TIA
icon_confused.gif

7 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 8

How about a map of the Keys with the ocean and the cardinal direction grid, compass, key for symboles, the works.

SHenyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHenyd Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 8

I think of peach and teal, art deco for southern florida. also lime cake w/coconut icing or white cake with lime curd or lime buttercream.
LL

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 8

I think of Jimmy Buffet, sand, margaritas, sailboats, colorful flowers/birds.....

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 8

DH & I lived there for a while before we started having kids. It's such a beautiful place!! Some of the colors remind me of Jamaica or the Bahamas...vivid, tropical, fruity kind of colors...lol. Bright coral pink, lemon yellow, turquiose, orange. But there's LOTS of white too...there are many, many houses (especially some of the older ones) that are white with colorful, bright trim and shutters. Not to mention all of the deep green tropical foliage...like a cross between emerald green and hunter green. The color of Key Limes comes to mind, too....they grow all over the place in the Keys. The tall, skinny palms with the big heads of fronds at the top. But the turqoise-y blue water is what I remember the most vividly. I guess because the island of Key West itself is soooo small that no matter what you're doing, throughout the course of your day you get to see the water almost constantly. We lived on Duval street, the main drag that runs the length of the island...on one end of the street was the Southernmost Point of the US, the other end was the place where the cruise ships come in and everyone goes to watch the sunset. Oh...and the color of the sunsets...an unbelievable shade of golden orange!! Everyone should go there at least ONCE in their lifetime, if they can, for no other reason than to witness that sunset at the square...it's truly as breathtaking as people say it is!!! Oh...there's lots of white picket fences everywhere too. I'll hush now...can you tell I love that place?! icon_rolleyes.gif I've attached some pics to give you an idea of the colorful life down there and the things I've described....HTH icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 8

I'm packin' my bags, when do we leave? icon_lol.gif

SHenyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHenyd Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 8

i guess i'd think art deco for miami/key largo and brighter colors for key west. A chicken cake would be funny to reflect all the chickens running around loose on Key West.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 8

How about a chicken being chased by a cat??! LOL Hemingway's house was one block over from our apartment...those cats were EVERYWHERE!! lol And there was a rooster, though 2 blocks over, that woke me up almost every day...it's a crazy place! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%