How Do I Make A Popcorn Cake?

Decorating By goodcakefairy Updated 21 Mar 2006 , 12:24am by Susecita

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 6

I wanted to use the giant cupcake pan to make a popcorn bucket cake for our church movie night. I thought I might just pipe a "cloud effect' forthe popcorn, but I've seen so many nice popcorn cakes here, I was wondering how you did it?

also, any advice on how to make 2 giant cupcake pan cakes stand up to make a 3-D bucket?

5 replies
Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 6

From what i've seen in picture a lot of people use fondant for their popcorn. It looks like a popcorn sized ball with a proportional flower cut out attached to the bottom.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 6

I saw someone used Marshmellows for the popcorn and just cut then in quarters on one end to give it the popcorn effect. You could then buy a can of the yellow Color mist (if you don't have an airbrush) and spray that on for butter =)

As for the cupcakes standing up for a bucket shape... I am not sure I can help you. But I might suggest baking 3-4 of the same size round cake then stacking them and trimming them from the top to the bottom to get the tapered bucket.

hope this helps. Can't wait to see your cake.

Leily

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 6

I've done a popcorn cake.. I used buttercream and it was really easy. I used a round tip (probably a 4 or 5). I piped on large ball and then attached 2-3 smaller balls to it. After doing that all over the cake I went back with a brush and some brown coloring to make the center.

Here's a picture..
LL

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 12:02am
post #5 of 6

Thanks!! TammyAZ that's awesome!

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 12:24am
post #6 of 6

I was actually reading how to make a popcorn cake on one of CP's books. She also uses buttercream and just pipes little balls all over. Not only does it sound easy but fuuuuun.

-S

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%