My 1St Topsyturvy Not To Fall Over!!!!!

Decorating By misterc Updated 30 Mar 2007 , 2:05pm by 2sdae

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 12:01am
post #1 of 19

I tried once before to do a topsyturvy and it just fell apart but I tried again and it worked! I know I can improve on the technique but I am so excited about it! I would love any honest tips or advice on how to do better next time. I did it for free for mom's bosses b-day. How much do you think I should charge for this cake? Thanks!
LL
LL

18 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 12:10am
post #2 of 19

YAY, success! And isn't that cute? They are a lot of work aren't they? Between the crumbs and the doweling I'm not sure I ever want to make one again. I kind of like the crooked cakes Colette Peters has come out with where the cakes are flat and just slanted styrofoam wedges makes the whimsy look to them, look much easier to me.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 12:11am
post #3 of 19

I think it is wonderful! Great job!

Christi

misterc Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 12:30am
post #4 of 19

Thank you!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 12:43am
post #5 of 19

Way to go! And a cute cake to boot! What topsyturvy method did you use. I've yet to try one of these and I guess it's because I'm put off by all the carving etc. I've looked at the styrofoam and icing building method, but they just don't look as if they would be secure enough.

misterc Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:02am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoudek

Way to go! And a cute cake to boot! What topsyturvy method did you use. I've yet to try one of these and I guess it's because I'm put off by all the carving etc. I've looked at the styrofoam and icing building method, but they just don't look as if they would be secure enough.

I used the method CC has a tutorial on. I tried the other method you mentioned the first time and it fell over on me. I think I didn't have the dowels in the right place. Thanks!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:31am
post #7 of 19

That's really cute! I love the turtles.

katanagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katanagirl Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 2:13am
post #8 of 19

it turned out great I'm going to try one day lol

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #9 of 19

I have been wanting to try one of these. This is darling.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:24am
post #10 of 19

That is adorable.

I want to try one, too. I want to do Colette's method. I've seen some pictures of hers that were pretty crooked, and they didn't fall over. As I understand, she dowels the heck out of hers.

amecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amecakes Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:32am
post #11 of 19

I love the turtles, too. The theme is great. I wouldn't change anything icon_biggrin.gif

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:54am
post #12 of 19

Looks very nice. Did it take a long time to make? I want to try to make one but I'm afraid it will tip over. The other one I want to try is the one that starts small and keeps getting bigger .I think mike's amazing cakes has it. Oops sorry to get off the subject icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif . But getting back to the cake :Great job thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 5:12am
post #13 of 19

No clue on prices, just had to say what a cute cake! You did a great job on this one! Jen

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 5:48am
post #14 of 19

LOVE your successfull topsy turvy cake. Its just tooooo cute! If the cake is the size I am thinking it is, judging from the photos... The cake would easily go for 80-100 dollars in this area. (6 inch rounds with fondant accents alone sell for over 18 dollars here). Theres a ton of work in fondant, carving, painting, sculpting turtles, etc....Don't sell yourself short on your artistry! I really guess pricing depends on the area, because I've seen some drastically low prices on here before, and thought, 'you could easily get double around here.' Check to see what bakeries in your area are making on similar cakes, and if they are selling them at that price, I bet you can too!! Take into account your supplies, labor, sweat, and tears and go from there!! LOOKS GREAT!!

misterc Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 12:30pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by asul

Looks very nice. Did it take a long time to make? I want to try to make one but I'm afraid it will tip over. The other one I want to try is the one that starts small and keeps getting bigger .I think mike's amazing cakes has it. Oops sorry to get off the subject icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif . But getting back to the cake :Great job thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif

I'm not sure how long it took me but I can say that it was as time consuming as one of my larger wedding cakes. The carving and covering the cake took me a while and all my deco took quite a bit of time. I didn't use any cutters, I did everything by hand so it took awhile. Would I do it again, definitly!!!

Thanks to everyone for the comments!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:15pm
post #16 of 19

That cake is awesome! I love it. What size are the layers? I'd deff say that would depend on $. But with all that work it would be a high dollar amount. Plus you hand molded all the decorations. I love your turtles!
Wanna make me a free birthday cake too? icon_lol.gif

misterc Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:24pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

That cake is awesome! I love it. What size are the layers? I'd deff say that would depend on $. But with all that work it would be a high dollar amount. Plus you hand molded all the decorations. I love your turtles!
Wanna make me a free birthday cake too? icon_lol.gif

Thanks! The bottom is a 10 inch carved and the top is an 8 inch carved, they are both three cakes high and filled.

jayme1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayme1980 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:43pm
post #18 of 19

Great job!!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 2:05pm
post #19 of 19

Well, I'd say $50.00 to $60.00 that's alot of work and alot of cake too. Might go for more in your area though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%