Filling Stabilize

Decorating By LisasCakesNM Updated 29 Mar 2007 , 9:59pm by bobwonderbuns

LisasCakesNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisasCakesNM Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 10

What is the best way to stabilize a filling that could possible go bad? Hope this makes sense?!?! TIA!!!

9 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 10

Maybe you could be more specific about the recipe. I think some recipes there is nothing you can do but to refrigerate. But some, the amount of sugar in it is enough to preserve it.

amecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amecakes Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 10

If its whipped cream, adding gelatin (during the whipping stage), too...

LisasCakesNM Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 10

Yeah i didn't have any recipe in mind, just one with whipped cream or with a heavy milk product. This worries me!! Okay so sugar acts as a preserver? Thanks for the help!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 10

I think you need to clarify if you mean shelf stable (like it doesnt need to be refrigerated) or stable, like it wont deflate.

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 10

i have a question about the whipped cream. i'm doing a 2 tiered b-day cake this saturday and they perfer w.c. and i am a bit scred for the reason that i dont know if it will hold up. have you yourself ever used the gelatin in the whipped c. does it work?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 10

You can try Rich's Bettercreme and doctor that up. It works well as a creme filling without the cream! icon_biggrin.gif

amecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amecakes Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 10

I've used it to fill a sponge cake and it was great...but have never tried it in a tiered cake...so I'll give you a bump

LisasCakesNM Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 10

Merissa I meant shelf stable, meaning it may go bad. I have never had trouble with my fillings deflating but I may because I am going to make a whipped cream filling for the first time! Thanks for all of your help!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 10

The Rich's is designed to be shelf stable at room temp for up to 7 days. So, theoretically, it wouldn't go bad if it were used as a filling in a cake which was on display for 7 days (although I highly doubt any wedding would go on for that long...icon_rolleyes.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%