Ideas For A Boy 1St Bday - Crown

Decorating By fytar Updated 20 Mar 2006 , 7:16pm by fytar

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 19

Anybody have any little boy cakes that have crowns on them? I know this seems a little strange, but I'm guessing the lady wants it to be more like he's a little prince or something. The father may not go for it but I was just going to see if I could find some related ideas. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

18 replies
KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 19

I know most of the crowns in the gallery are for girls, but I believe there's one you can make for a boy. You know how a king's crown has the gold rim and then a red velevt top and some kind of jewel at the top. Hope that makes sense. Do a search for crowns in the gallery, there may be ideas there.

fytar Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 19

If I do end up doing a crown, I'll be doing out of royal icing and probably just stand it up on the top of the cake. I'll look through the boy cakes in the gallery. I hope she changes her mind. Thanks KittisKakes.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 19

here is one I found on the internet.. I know it says Rowena .. but it doesn't look girly
LL

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 19

Yeah, I like those...still don't think I want to do a fondant cake right now though! I've done enough in the past couple of months!!

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 19

How about this crown? I think I found that pic here. I don't remember but I got it saved on my computer. LOL!
LL

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 19

I was just in the galleries section, and 'prettycakes" just uploaded a gtreat boyish crown, you may want to take a look at it!

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 19

Hey! I just did a cake last weekend for a little boy that was a crown theme - it was a bottom cake with a pillow shaped cake on top and a crown on top. If you can give me you email, I'll email you the picture unless I can figure out how to download it here! My email is [email protected]. Now I have to warn you though - my fondant crown fell apart at 2:30 in the morning the day before the party - (NOW I know why you have to add gumpaste to decorations like that!) -so the crown on this cake is not made from fondant, but it's pretty easy to do - I'll give you the directions if you're interested for the fondant/gumpaste crown.

Thanks!

Pyxxydust Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 19

Oops - sorry about that - I was playing around with the attachment and attached the wrong picture! That's my 1 year old son playing at the party (yes, he's shoeless, it kept coming off so I gave up!) Let me try to attach the cake picture - I'm not sure if they'll allow the picture since there's a picture of the little boy on the crown but maybe they can black it out somehow. If it doesn't work - I'll see if my hubby can figure out a way to do so and I'll reattach it later. I'll also attach a picture from the "top" of the cake so you can at least get an idea of what it looked like if the crown can't be shown...Wish me luck!!
LL
LL

fytar Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 3:42am
post #12 of 19

Very cute little boy you have there!

I love your pillow, too! I like the look of the crown even it it's not edible - it's paper, right? I'll have to show the mother this if you don't mind. Thanks again.

Pyxxydust Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 19

Thank you and thank you!

Yes, it's paper. We get the boys' pictures done at a place called Picture People, and we cut the crown out of the envelope that the pictures come in. Any type of stiff paper would do - not too heavy like cardboard cuz it wouldn't curve around, but not too thin that it wouldn't hold up to the paint. We painted it with craft paint - I got it Wal Mart for like 79 cents or something - I can let you know which type if you'd like to know (but I have to check at home first). I tried two different golds and I liked this one the best - the other one was called Aztec gold and wasn't opaque enough to cover the Picture People logo. The fake jewels I got at Target and they were great - they had adhesive right on the back so I didn't have to worry about gluing them or using royal icing or anything.
Oh - and the pillow was pretty easy to do - I have an 8 inch contour pan, which was perfect for those rounded corners (but you don't really need one to get that look - it just saved some time for me), then I used a serrated knife to cut the sides at a slant - both the top and bottom of the cake. I covered it all with fondant and used a Wilton embosser for the top of the pillow, made the tassels with a garlic press, attached the rope border with royal icing, and covered it in Super Pearl.
Let me know if you have any other questions!

fytar Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks, Pyxxydust! I'll get back to you if the mom decides on this cake. Thanks again. T

SHenyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHenyd Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 19

these are cute. One is a diaper cake, but stripes could be done on a cake.
LL
LL
LL

SHenyd Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 19

this one also
LL

SHenyd Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 6:50pm
post #17 of 19

these are cute. One is a diaper cake, but stripes could be done on a cake.
LL
LL
LL

Pyxxydust Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 6:50pm
post #18 of 19

This is stunningly gorgeous! That is just wonderful! You did a fantastic job on that!

fytar Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 7:16pm
post #19 of 19

SHenyd, thanks so much! I never thought to look at diaper cakes to get ideas. I love the frog prince too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%