Lace Molds

Decorating By Wendoger Updated 17 Mar 2006 , 6:11pm by fearlessbaker

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 5:50am
post #1 of 11

I was looking at the lace molds at caljava and they have what they call 'deep lace molds' and 'wrap lace molds'...whats the difference? How do they work? I wanna try one but I was wanting some advice from you all before I make a purchase. Are they hard to use? Tips and/or tricks to using them???
Thanks!
Wendy

10 replies
cats28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats28 Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 11

Hi Wendy:
I never seen lace molds, but what I have seen is people using fabric lace to sort of trace the design onto the cake, and believe me what I seen after completed is very pretty and delicate. Very nice for wedding cakes. I can only imagine that the lace mold will have a 3D effect of some kind. Lets us know if you find anything else about it. Sorry I couldn't help you icon_sad.gif

Have a great day.
cats28 (Tina)

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 11

Bumping, because I want to know more about lace molds, too....

Wendoger Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 11

Does ANYONE here use lace molds??? Anyone? icon_wink.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 11

I have this one:

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=21539&category_id=266

I have no clue what the difference is though, sorry.

Wendoger Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 11

Is it easy to use? Did you have any problems?
I bought the molds to make beads...MUCH harder than they make it seem...I still have not mastered it and I've tried to use it several times. I just wanna know if I buy one is it gonna set in my box of cake stuff or can I actually use it? I LOVE that one you have...its gorgeous.

missmelbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmelbox Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 11

Wendoger I just took a fondant class and we used the pearl mold and it was easy. Do you dust your mold with enough corn starch? That helped tremendously when I used the pearl mold.

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 11

I am not sure of the difference but I have seen shallow lace molds that could be used to "wrap" around a cake and I have seem deeper lace molds that could be used for accent but would be too thick to wrap around the outside of a tier. Maybe this is the difference.

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 11

You know, I just went to caljava and I don't think what I though was true. There is a difference in the molds where one set is onlu the lace pattern where the others have an edge of flat material arould the lace design. Sorry, not much help from here!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 11

This is the cake on that website that uses the same mold I have. I've only used it once and I rolled out the fondant fairly thin, put it on the mold and then used the roller to press it into the mold, then I cut the excess off around the pattern. Then I attached it to the cake. Pretty much like the one in the picture, that was my inspiration cake. It is Picture 1E on this page:

http://www.cakesbysam.com/IMAGEgallery1.htm

Sorry I can't be more help.

It is easier than the pearl mold, IMO.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 6:11pm
post #11 of 11

I have experimented a little with the Lace Molds I got from Cakes By Sam. I dodn't have the technique down yet but I think it will be beautiful when I do get it to the way I want it. I think some of you are talking about 2 different molds. There is one mold that is short and you make individual beads from that mold. Earlene has them as well as Sugarcraft. Sam might also. There is another lace mold that you can make a row of continues beads and wrap it around your cake. I haven't looked at it in quite a while but I think included on the same lace wrap is a rope mold also that can be wrapped around. I use my pasta machine to get it a little thinner before I place it on the mold. Also, you can over pipe on the lace to give it more dimension.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%