How Do I Make This Cake For 15?

Decorating By MommyEdzards Updated 29 Mar 2007 , 5:41pm by springlakecake

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 8

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=cruise%20ship&cat=0&pos=0&search=cruise%20ship

I have a request for this cake, but by the looks of it....it's huge.
What is the smallest I can make this and still make it to look like this? She said there would only be 15 guests, but I told her it may be difficult to make it for 15 seeing that it is a cruise ship.
Also I have no clue what to charge!! There is a lot of detail on this one and a lot of fondant work. I was thinking of icing it in buttercream and doing the accents in fondant.

Help.....anyone??

7 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 8

i would do maybe a 9x13 cut in half and stacked. It would be a little more than 15 servings, but not a huge cake by any means.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 8

That would be a LOT more than 15 servings . . . lol. But you might need to price it for the cake you need to make to meet her request, not for the servings in this case.

I was thinking a loaf pan.

springlakecake Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 8

well it would be about 24 servings minus any additional that you might carve off while you are shaping the cake, maybe for the front end. This would be going party size servings (2x2 which I know are pretty good size pieces)

Oh this is the same method I used to make the space shuttle cake in my photos.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=merissa&cat=0&pos=6

MommyEdzards Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 8

Very cool Shuttle cake!!! Yeah... I was thinking 9x13 also. What would you charge? $50? too much ....too little??? Man I hate pricing!
Thanks for all your help!
Lisa

springlakecake Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 8

If I were doing say the shuttle cake (I figure 20 servings with the stuff I cut off) I would have charged $3 a serving so $60. So I would probably charge about the same amount for the cruise ship.

Maybe even more...that cruise ship has a lot of detail work if you copied it exactly.

MommyEdzards Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you for your help! Your Lightning McQueen cake is awesome!! My little boy would LOVE that!

springlakecake Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 8

You are welcome! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%