How Many Layers In Your Round Cakes?

Decorating By CakesByEllen Updated 18 Mar 2006 , 12:34am by denise2434

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Everyone,

How many layers do you have in your basic (say 8" round) cake?

2, 3, or 4?

And how do you get those numbers. I'm most interested in how you get to 3. 2 is obviously 2 layers, 4 would be 2 layers, each torted. But how do you get 3? it seems a lot of bakeries do 3. Do you?

do you just bake 3 smaller layers and if so, how much batter would go in each pan?

TIA!

12 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 13

I use two layers and torte each one.I end up with about a 4 -4 1/2 inch cake high

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 13

I usually do the two layers also. I wonder if they use a three inch pan and torte it two times?? Not sure.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 13

I usually only do 2 layers and I don't split the layers. I just fill between the 2 layers.

To get three I would imagine they back three thin layers or perhaps have a deep enough pan to split it twice. Or perhaps they do bake 2 cakes and split both, using only 1 half from the second cake. This all depends on the height desired.

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 13

I use two cakes, each torted for four layers... but I've been wondering about the three layers as well, so I'm interested to see what others say.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 13

I usually use the Wilton 3" pans and then torte twice to get the three layers. If you don't have the deeper pans you can also "collar" the pans with parchment paper to make a deeper cake.

http://cakecentral.com/article43-Collaring-Your-Cake-Pans-Make-A-Deeper-Cake.html

HTH

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 13

I usually do two but last week I did three and I really liked it. It was 6" high and the inside looked really pretty when it was cut.
I made two boxes of cake mix and put three on the cake and frosted the other one for my family to eat. But I imagine you could freeze it instead of eating it. And use it next time you want to do a three layer.

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 13

I have been wondering about this too. Everybodies cakes seem so tall. I actually have been baking 3 layers and stacking. One 8 in cut into two's and another cake. How do you all bake 2 cakes then torte into 4's? Do you use the cake extender or doctored cake mix? I only bake with box mixes as thus far. Maybe that is my problem, because I don't seem to ever have enough batter.

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3884

I usually use the Wilton 3" pans and then torte twice to get the three layers. If you don't have the deeper pans you can also "collar" the pans with parchment paper to make a deeper cake.

http://cakecentral.com/article43-Collaring-Your-Cake-Pans-Make-A-Deeper-Cake.html

HTH

Hi ps3884!! I have a question for ya. When you use a 8x3" pan....how many cups of batter do you use?? I don't have any 3" pans...so I'm going to collar my 2" ....but I'm not real sure how many cups of batter. icon_confused.gif

Thank you so much!! Hugs, ~Denise

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 13

when I use a 3" pan, I use an entire box mix...but if you don't use a mix, I don't know!

icon_smile.gif

and if you use one cake mix, make 2 cake rounds (2" high), then torte each in half, you'll have 4 layers. one cake mix works perfectly for that. But if you use 3" pans, then each pan would use a whole mix.

denise2434 Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks chixbaby!!! thumbs_up.gif

That helped me a lot!! Hugs, ~Denise

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 10:19pm
post #12 of 13

I usually bake two rounds, in 3 inch deep pans...then torte each...equaling four layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. But I've had a few people request 3 layer cakes. So I just baked one layer like I usually do, I fill my 3 inch pans almost 3/4 full, and the pans are collared. Then I just filled the other pan maybe half way(this pan is collared as well, though)...it makes for a shorter cake...not so high as the other. Is this making sense?? icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif Then I just level the shorter one and level and torte the taller one...I end up with 3 layers that are very close in height, so the layers look even when the cake is cut.

**Edited to add: I forgot to say that I usually have a tiny bit of batter left over...just enough for a couple of (2) small cupcakes...DH & kids usually gobble them up.

denise2434 Posted 18 Mar 2006 , 12:34am
post #13 of 13

Thanks JennT!!!! When I would torte my 2-in cakes...there always seem to be more frosting than cake. icon_confused.gif Not that I'm complaining!! icon_lol.gif I LOVE frosting!! I'm going to be making my anniversary cake coming up on the 25th and I'll try this!!

Thanks bunches!! Hugs, ~Denise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%