What Is The Most Versitile Character Mold....

Decorating By carflea Updated 16 Mar 2006 , 10:46pm by soygurl

carflea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carflea Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Cakey Cakers:

What is your favorite cake Pan..... This doesn't include Rounds and standard cake pans....... I'm looking to get a few (limited space) character pans and I would love some input. I have peeked around the gallery but i would like to hear it from you ladies/gentleman.

Thank You!
Have a Faboo Day party.gif

9 replies
amandarv33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandarv33 Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 10

Cookie Monster has been a hit for me, but leaves little room to be creative. I kepp meaning to buy more but never get around to it.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 10

I like the ball pan and the adorable lamb - I use that instead of the teddy bear (I don't know if they make that anymore).

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 10

I love the 3D teddy bear - my mom has both the large and the mini one. I use the mini bear as my "smash" cake for both my kids. I've used it to make a fireman and a carebear. (haven't done a ton of cakes yet)

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 10

I would stear away from buying character pans... The only shaped pans I would get would be the ball, and maybe the 3D bear or duck... something versitile. Character pans don't bake evenly, take up space -and you can put the same character on a sheet cake. You may only use it once. When I first started doing cakes, I thought I needed all these pans, and purchased several. They're up in my attic now collecting dust! I would much rather put the design on a sheet cake, rather than decorate one of those pans. Now the ball I use a lot, and the Barbie (doll) pan. I've used the bear and duck a few times too...

rach1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rach1 Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 10

I mainly use round and square but do have a few character ones and they are all used.....

101 dalmation dog
Wonder mould ..very popular

Football tin
little mermaid
scooby doo

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 10

ditto on what allison said... i have 3 large rubbermaid containers holding so many pans that i thought i had to have but the majority of the cakes i do have been carved or regular round-sheet. i have done a lot of the spongebob but would really like to throw that one out!! (sick of spongebob!!) i would recommend
the lamb-
3-d bear/tree/house/egg..etc.hth icon_smile.gif

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 10

I love my 3D house pan! I also use the 3D bears (both sizes) often and I just got both sizes of the 3D lambs (the mini lambs are discontinued, got the pan on eBay). I think beyond those, the ones you should look for are:
3D ball pan
Wonder mold pan
Horseshoe shaped pan- maybe.

All of those cute character pans are tempting, but trust me, you can do without them. I have 7 of mine on eBay right now because they were taking up valuable space. (user id sandraven4, if you're interested) Good luck making wise choices! icon_smile.gif

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 10

I'd say the three I use the most are the 3D car, 3D house and 3D bear. I have a TON though. They are great for donated cakes (as I usually end up doing them for the church every year when they have their cake walks). The wonder mold has multiple uses too. Just used that for the Rock Climbing cake I did.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 10

I would definatly say the ball pan and the wonder mold. Both are great. Others I would consider are the 3D lamb and/or bear, the book pan, the 3D house, and maybe the tee shirt pan (though you could easily carve that shape). The horse shoe pan and the football pan are probably pretty versitle too. I wouldn't get ANY character pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%