This Is The Cake I Want To Do....help!!

Decorating By scrapmomof3 Updated 29 Mar 2007 , 3:50am by scrapmomof3

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 1:57am
post #1 of 14

My son will be celebrating his 8th birthday in April and wants a Star Wars cake. I searched online and found one that does not look too difficult design wise. However, being new to this, I need a bit of help.

To start with, we will be having approx. 25 people here (12 of those are kids). I have never done a sheet cake before, so I need to know what pan size to use to make a 1/2 sheet (that would be enough right?)

Also, can anyone figure out what that tan line is that runs through the design? Is it just icing? What color would I use to match that?

And last, what would be the best way to fill in the Star Wars logo without messing up the icing?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I want this to be a great cake for my son.

Lisa

Here is a link to the cake...go under kids gallery and look for the Star Wars cake.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.leopoldsbakery.com/galleryImage/index.bvi%3Fimgid%3D45%26small%3D1&imgrefurl=http://www.leopoldsbakery.com/bakery/birthday-cakes/children/&h=78&w=100&sz=6&hl=en&start=24&um=1&tbnid=9q1_918cmhRPUM:&tbnh=64&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstar%2Bwars%2Bbirthday%2Bcakes%26start%3D18%26ndsp%3D18%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B2GGGL_en___US203%26sa%3DN

13 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:09am
post #2 of 14

The tan lines looks lice buttercream iced using either a tip 3 or 5. I'm guessing the Star Wars lettering can be done use frozen buttercream transfer. I'm guessing a 9 x 13 pan would be more than enough to feed 25 but I'm sure the experts can advise you better on this.

I'm planning to do a Star Wars cake by September for my stepson so goodluck and may the force be with you icon_lol.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:13am
post #3 of 14

If you are only having that many people, then what about doing a 9 x 13 instead of a half sheet. Kids usually eat small pieces anyway right? Otherwise the half sheet pan is 11 x 15 I believe.

The tan line looks like icing, probably butter cream. For the logo, you could always do a piping gel transfer or do it in white and then go over it in color if you like the way it looks.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the cake!

rockii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockii Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:13am
post #4 of 14

maybe make the stars wars as a fbct. the yellow line that you are talking about just seems to be buttercream. the same color that the stars wars is written in

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:13am
post #5 of 14

The tan is just icing. You could make the star by Frozen buttercream transfer. There are good directions for this on the site. They use the initials FBCT. (this is just in case you have not heard of it. I'm not sure about the size, But I do know if you go to wiltons site they have charts.
You could use alot of colors for the tan. Hope this helps a little icon_smile.gif

scrapmomof3 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:39am
post #6 of 14

I left out that my son wants a vanilla cake with strawberry glaze filling. So, should I do two 9 x 13's and just stack them w/ the filling in between?

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:42am
post #7 of 14

I think the lighting in this photo is a little off and the color you are calling tan is actually a goldish yellow.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:44am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapmomof3

I left out that my son wants a vanilla cake with strawberry glaze filling. So, should I do two 9 x 13's and just stack them w/ the filling in between?

I would torte the cake in half and then fill rather than stack two whole cakes...that's alot of cake, and then you also have tall sides to figure out how to decorate as well.

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:50am
post #9 of 14

12x18 is a half sheet cake & will feed 48 people

11x15 will feed 25

9x13 will feed 15 & is 1/4 sheet cake

Hope this help

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:51am
post #10 of 14

I you find torting something that size difficult (cracks, etc), you can do 2 cakes but not very high and stack them. Does that make sense?

Good luck

scrapmomof3 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:56am
post #11 of 14

I have never cut a cake in half...guess I need to invest in a leveler.

Thanks for all of your help! I have to be honest...in addtion to wanting to make my son happy, I have another reason I want this cake to come out looking good. There will be alot of parents here and I am hoping that if they like the cake, maybe they will come to me with cake orders for their kids. I'm sorry if that sounds horrible, but I would really like to try and get a home biz going and this would be a great way to get some interest.

scrapmomof3 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:00am
post #12 of 14

LisaCakes...Thankyou for the serving guide! I am thinking maybe I should do one 11x15 cake, cut it in half, and torte it. That would hopefully be enough for everyone?

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:04am
post #13 of 14

I think it is a great way to gain some biz when the parents see what you can do! It's edible advertising!! Good luck!!

scrapmomof3 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:50am
post #14 of 14

Now I am confused... I just read on another website that a 11x15 cake would feed 55-60 people.

I like the decorating part, but I am no good at trying to figure out how much cake to make It just seems very confusing!

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%