Need Cake Idea For Mom Who Has Seen Every Cake Out There!

Decorating By dtmc Updated 17 Mar 2006 , 1:34am by bush1

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all, I was hoping to pick your brains for ideas on a cake for my mom. She is in the wedding planning business and has seen every cake imaginable. She is very encouraging of me and my potential cake business. I want to make a cake for her upcoming birthday and I want it extremely special. My mom has just recovered from breast cancer and was just given the GREAT news that all is well and in remission. I don't know if I want to do a "breast cancer" cake, since she is excited to be done with chemo/radiation. I know she wants to move on and live life. I want to do something very girly, elegant, and different. Any ideas?

TIA,
dtmc

PS....She wants a key lime cake...I found a recipe in the recipe folder. Is it any good?

12 replies
janethorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janethorp Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 13

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/
at his website is a french purse that is so perfect. Try that one. I may order the video to see how to make. He even sells a video on how to make it how cool is that?

Kelly10176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelly10176 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 13

what about the breast cancer logo on top? with white roses tipped in pink rope boarders.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 13

How about a cake of cakes - we did a wedding cake with little wedding cakes on it. Maybe take some of her favs and put little ones on to look like that on it. It was a Wilton inspired cake, it should be in my photos.

Or a cake of a foot kicking cancer off of it! Make an ugly face and name it cancer and put the ribbon all pink and flowery kicking its ass! icon_lol.gif

Good luck! To your mom too!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 13

I always like the cakes with the pirouette cookies around them. I can't wait for the right opportunity to try one!

Here is an example:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=purple&cat=0&pos=141&search=purple

dtmc Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by janethorp

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/
at his website is a french purse that is so perfect. Try that one. I may order the video to see how to make. He even sells a video on how to make it how cool is that?

I tried going to the website to see the french purse, but I couldn't. Do you have to be a member to visit his site? I'm fasinated to see the french purse. My mom loves everything victorian. Is there a way to cut/paste the picture to this forum?

THANK!

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 13

How about doing a princess cake or something very girly... I have a friend who just finished chemo and is going through radio therapy now... She had a double mastectomy (sp?) and she feels yucky about herself!! I would do something frilly, princess like and girly... Make her feel like a queen!! thumbs_up.gif

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 13

i would just do something really festive and colorful. something that just screams "celebrate". there's a cake full of multicolored ribbons in my pictures that is so far one of my most popular- it's a take on one of collett peters' cakes

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 13

I found some really nice quotes about beauty at this site, I think it would be a great place to start for inspiration. I love the cakes that have quotes, etc. written on the sides.

http://en.thinkexist.com/quotations/beauty/

Good luck and Congratulations to your Mom for beating the cancer!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:44pm
post #10 of 13

Is this it? I went to http://www.nicholaslodge.com/ that Janethorp posted & found this:
LL

dtmc Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 13

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is absolutly BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting the picture. Thanks all for your advice!

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 13

I would go with a colorful flower cake ... you are celebrating her health and another birthday .....I would stay away from anything cancer related ...just my opinion

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 1:34am
post #13 of 13

If you decide to use a verse,how about "Faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains". I've always believed this and rely on it during troubling times. Good Luck to your mother and your family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%