Crumb Coats, Really Helpful Or More Of A Pain?

Decorating By briggs2 Updated 20 Apr 2005 , 1:42am by awela

briggs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briggs2 Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 12:36am
post #1 of 9

I have used a crumb coat on some cakes but not on others. I usually just make my frosting pretty runny and smear it over the cake.
Just curious what you all do and if you use it.

8 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 1:14am
post #2 of 9

If I'm making a cut-out or sculpted cake, I crumbcoat. I just use the same icing I plan to frost it with.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 2:07am
post #3 of 9

For me it's just a pain. I too have used it when I made a shaped cake that had to be cut but on just my regular cakes, I don't crumb coat.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 2:08am
post #4 of 9

Same here. I don't normally crumb coat unless it is a shaped/cut cake.

pastrypuffgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypuffgirl Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 2:15am
post #5 of 9

i find that crumb coating for me depends on the cake type itself. I have some basic recipes i use all the time and i know that some are more crumbly than others so that helps me determine whether to crumb coat. I almost always crumb coat when i am icing with buttercream because i want to be able to put a thin layer of it on or else it is too sweet. But with whipped cream, i don't usually crumb coat because i can put on a thicker layer at once.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 4:19am
post #6 of 9

I always do a crumb coat with the same icing I am frosting the cake with. I just feel more secure with a crumb coat on 1st.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 9

The only time I crumb coat is when I am doing a sculpted or carved cake..other than that..nah! thumbs_up.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 9

I used to not crumb coat with icing, but lately I have been since I want that perfect smooth looking top on the cake.

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:42am
post #9 of 9

Before I started decorating my first cake, I read a book on cake decoration and it explained about the advantages of crumb coating either with jams or thinned icing. So it is part of my cakes decoration process. It has work fine for me. On the other hand if I'm sculpting a cake I freeze it and do it while it is hard, then crumb coat it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%