Always Wear Sunscreen!!

Lounge By sugartopped Updated 16 Mar 2006 , 9:33pm by gailsgoodies

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:25am
post #1 of 15

I'm such a ditz icon_redface.gif (although I've been called several other worse names the past couple days!!!) read on and you'll understand!!

went to the beach on sunday and forgot the sunblock (1st trip of the year...ONLY thing we forgot and we brought the rest of the house)!!! since we were only going to be there for 2hrs (and the last 45 min of that 2hrs I sat in the shade (umbrella) w/a towel over me), I decided I'd take my frist sun burn of the season and just live with it.....rather than walk 1/4 mile to the beach store on the other side of the beach!!! icon_confused.gif

well, let me just say........I'M DEF. EATING MY WORDS NOW!! I was so burned that from the time I left the beach to the time it took me drive home (~30 min) .....I was already so red and sore that I could barely walk into the house!!! then the rest of the day/night I was bed w/chills & sweating....then in the bathroom throwing up!! Guess that's called sun poisioning!!!

Then Monday, I could barely walk and was sent home from work b/c it looked so bad......today I can walk...but my legs, ankles, and feet are so swollen I can't put ANY of my shoes on (not even flip flops!!)!!

THIS SUCKS!!! ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, wear your sunscreen!! At least I was smart enough (??) to leave my shorts & tshirt on, so only my legs, feet, and forearms are burnt!!

even though this is isn't the worse i've ever been burned (once my eyes were swollen shut icon_eek.gif !!!)...it's been years since I was this stupid (well about sunscreen and the first trip to the beach anyway)!!!

just wanted share my public service announcement!!! icon_confused.gif I was really only exposed to the sun for about 1 hr 15 min and it put me out of commission for 3 days+!!! I still have to go through the blistering & peeling....who knows when the swelling will go down!!! Give you one guess what my skin type is!! icon_cool.gif

14 replies
klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:38am
post #2 of 15

Yikes - so sorry to hear about your sunburn that has got to be one of the worse things to have. If any good can come out of this is that every person that reads this reminds every one that they know to wear sun screen it is the one best thing you can do to reduce your chances of getting skin cancer.

Hope you feel better soon - did you happen to use vinegar compresses when your skin was on fire? It helps take out the sting - one guess as to how I know that little morsel of information.....

sugartopped Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:41am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxdesserts

did you happen to use vinegar compresses when your skin was on fire? It helps take out the sting - one guess as to how I know that little morsel of information.....

I have a slight problem w/the smell of vinegar ...but tried it anyway (I was up for anything!!)...and ended up in the bathroom w/my head over the toliet!!!

But I did use an entire LARGE bottle of aloe (I'm on the second one now) and went through 3 cans of this spray stuff...to relieve burn!!

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:45am
post #4 of 15

Wow - I don't know what else to say other than I am really sorry, sunburns bite! Hope you feel better soon.....

sugartopped Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:54am
post #5 of 15

it's funny...well kinda...but everyone else is like...oh you poor thing or I feel so bad for you....except my HUSBAND!!

he's [email protected]$$....what were you thinking!! But I know he loves me!! icon_rolleyes.gif I told him in a couple weeks, once the swelling, blistering, and peeling go away and I'm able to function on my own....he'll laugh about it w/me!!! icon_lol.gif

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 15

Hmm... I'd rather be dealing with sunburn right now than my first half dozen of mosquito bites!!!

luggi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luggi Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 15

pinkbunny:
You can also make compresses with milk or quark, both have a cooling and healing quality.

To reduce the swelling: shower the legs with cold water; put cold compresses on your eyes; get a lymphatic drainage (only if you can tolerate somebody touching the sunburn)

Barefoot_Contessa:
The cooling tip is also good for mosquito bites - put an ice cube on the bites.

Get well soon!

Luggi

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 15

you crazy person!! LOL
I don't ever leave my house w/o 50 spf and I can count on my hands how many times I've been to the beach. Although I will remember everyone elses tips in case the inevitable happens... I hope it feels better soon!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 15

I feel for ya that's for sure!!! I've definitely had my share of sunburns icon_sad.gif For years now I have just resolved to staying out of the sun. My father gets skin cancer on his face that has to be surgically removed. So I don't want to chance it. I am so fair skinned and blonde that if I didn't wear make-up on my eyelashes and eyebrows you wouldn't even think I had any (they are literally clear). The first place I sunburn is my scalp!!! On the plus side, since it has been sooooo many years since I have gone out in to the sun, people think I have great skin icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 15

You know, I was feeling sorry for you until I looked out my window, and saw SNOW.
:p

I'm so jealous, what I wouldnt give for the threat of sunburn, instead of the threat of frostbite.

But seriously, that sucks, take care of yourself. And once you start healing more, switch from aloe to a good sensitive skin moisturizer, whenever I burn, my skin feels rough and scaly after the burn heals, and I find the switching to a nice sensitive moisturizer and applying it constantly helps.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:29pm
post #11 of 15

pinkbunny - I'm so sorry that happened to you! Same thing happened to a friend of mine...on SUNDAY!! lol But she was at Orange Beach, not P'cola...lol. Me & the kids were on the river, Fish River, on Sunday....got some color, but no burns, thank goodness! I've gotten to where I just keep a big bag in my trunk all the time stuffed with towels, beach toys, bathing suits and 2 big bottles of that No-Add brand of sunscreen in it...we tend to go to the beach on a whim quite often. So this way I don't have to remember every time to grab the sunscreen, etc. Hopefully no more burns for you this year!! icon_wink.gif

I have very olive-toned skin...nickname when I was a kid was 'little miss brownie'...I kept a tan all year round. Only had 2 sunburns as a kid/teenager and they weren't too bad...I was brown by the next morning. But once I started having kids my skin changed. I'm still darker in complexion, but a little lighter than I used to be....and I can burn much easier now than I used to. If I spend ALL DAY, literally, at the Gulf, I will inevitably have bright pink skin on the tops of my cheeks, right under my eyes, and on the tops of my shoulders by the time I get home. Or if DH and I go out fishing on the Gulf, I come back deep brown with a nice red layer on top of that! lol And that's using spf 30 every couple of hours.

Ahhhhh....the joys of living near the beach! lol icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 15

Oh! you poor thing. I'm so sorry about your discomfort. I guess you really are a pink bunny now (sorry, couldn't resist that). Please be comfortable soon icon_wink.gif

sugartopped Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 10:26pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

I have very olive-toned skin...nickname when I was a kid was 'little miss brownie'...I kept a tan all year round. Only had 2 sunburns as a kid/teenager and they weren't too bad...I was brown by the next morning.

I'm the ONLY person in my family that has pale/white skin & reddish brown hair!!! the rest tan well/hardly ever burn....use to make me sooo mad!!! and all you olive-toned skin people......I've always been envious!!! icon_redface.gif I don't think most olive-skin people apprerciate the gift they have!! icon_rolleyes.gif (I know sunscreen is important no matter what type of skin you have).....but you have the luxury of 'forgetting' it every now and then and it not being the end of the world!! When I was little my mom use to bring SPF 2 & baby oil....I end up in the ER and she ends up with a nice golden tan!!! icon_confused.gif

luckily, my son has inherited my husband's nice olive skin!! My son is even darker than my Husband!!!!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 9:22pm
post #14 of 15

I know all about burns and different skin types...my son and I have the olive toned skin, but my husband is very white, runs in the family (my father in law is as white as his t-shirts icon_eek.gif )
I usually tan very well, except for my belly area which does not see the light of day that much anymore.
I love aloe, it is my friend when I burn.
Try taking an oatmeal bath...I think Aveeno makes a nice one...I hear that it is supposed to help feel soothing.

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 9:33pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Sunset

You know, I was feeling sorry for you until I looked out my window, and saw SNOW.
:p

I'm so jealous, what I wouldnt give for the threat of sunburn, instead of the threat of frostbite.

But seriously, that sucks, take care of yourself. And once you start healing more, switch from aloe to a good sensitive skin moisturizer, whenever I burn, my skin feels rough and scaly after the burn heals, and I find the switching to a nice sensitive moisturizer and applying it constantly helps.

Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep.....sunburns and too much drinking alcohol....EVERY once in a while it sounds good....till the day after!! icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Hope you feel better soon!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%