Fondatt, Gumtex, And Gumpaste

Decorating By swingme83 Updated 2 Apr 2007 , 3:53am by Steady2Hands

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 14

Ok after wilton course III i have one question and forgot to ask my teacher. We added gumtex to the fondant to make the roses. So now im out of that little packet and go to buy it in the store and there is gumtex and gumpaste. I know i need gumtext but when you add it to fondant is it then called gumpaste? I always buy a small box of wilton fondant and add gumtex in order to do the roses but now that i do MMF can you make the roses with that? IT seems to be too stretchy and not dry enough to make flowers, am i wrong?

To review: (1) Is fondant+ gumtext = gumpaste? and (2) can you make roses from course III with MMF and gumtext or does the wilton crap/chemical/plastic fondant work better?

TIA

13 replies
jackieaugusto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackieaugusto Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 14

I'd like to know too so here's a bump!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 14

adding the gumtex isn't quite gumpaste. its more or less, just fondant with gumtex added... you can make your own gumpaste with the gumtex. gumpaste is really similar, but doesn't have any of the softening ingredients, like glycerin or shortening.
heres an recipe for gumpaste:

1 heaping tablespoon Glucose or corn syrup
3 tablespoons (1/4 cup) warm water
1 tablespoon Gum Tragacanth, also known as Gum-Tex
1 lb. sifted confectioners sugar (or more)

Heat glucose and water till just warm. Mix Gum-Tex with 1 cup of the sugar and add to glucose mixture. Mix well. Gradually knead in enough sugar until you have used about 3/4 pound.
Gum paste handles best when aged, so store in a plastic bag at least overnight, then break off a piece and work in more sugar until pliable but not sticky. Always keep well-covered. Follow directions for tinting and rolling out gum paste.
NOTE: Decorators with hot hands will prefer making a firmer paste using the 1/4 cup of water. Even less water can be used if a firmer paste is desired. For ivory colored gumpaste all or part dark corn syrup may be substituted for the light corn syrup.

this should make really nice roses and flowers. i don't know if mmf with gum tex will work. never tried it.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 14

I would also like to know. BUMP.....

swingme83 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 14

so gumpaste is better for making roses or even flowers (once i take the wilton fondant class) then fondant with gumtex?

btw sorry i am horrible with spelling errors--damn automatic spell check.

beccakelly Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 14

people have their own preferences. i would try using both and see what you like best!

swingme83 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 14

its just that stuff is soo expensive (glucose and gumtex)i was trying to save some money.
Thanks for the suggestions i will just suck it up and try it out.

beccakelly Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 14

i only use light corn syrup, anytime a recipe calls for glucose. i agree, glucose is expensive, and corn syrup is a perfectly fine substitute. you can get a pretty big can of gum tex at michaels for about 8 dollars i think. use the 40% off coupon, and it'll only be about 5 dollars. there should be one next week. i should last you a long time, you only need about a Tbsp per pound of gumpaste.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 14

I just answered this on some other post. I read on CC where if you combine equal amounts of mmf and gumpaste you could make roses.

I used this tecnique on my last cake (see castle) and it worked like a charm.

Good Luck!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 14

I add gumtex to my MMF all the time, works well but it normally takes about 1 day to dry so if you're making roses you will need to do allow each layer to dry before doing the next.

kellycakes4949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycakes4949 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 14

For my final course 3 cake I added gumtex to my MMF and it seemed to be fine. Just add a little gumtex though as I found that the MMF became very dry and crumbly if you add too much.

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 14

when I took the Wilton Fondant/Gumpaste course. It worked just fine. Wilton prepared gumpaste costs a bit but I subscribe to the ACMoore email and always have a 40% off coupon in my purse. Sometimes you can find me handing them out because I hate to see people pay full price for anything.

Getting off my soapbox,
Debbie

swingme83 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 14

thanks for all the great suggestions i think i will go to acmoore tonight and get some gumtex and try thigns out. and then when tomorrow i will buy gumpaste and see how i like each. You guys are great. thanks

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:53am
post #14 of 14

So do you take your gumpaste that you've prepared and knead in some gumtex OR do you add gumtex to the gumpaste mix, then add the liquids and knead it?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%