A Cake Pricing Poll

Decorating By SweetDreams Updated 16 Mar 2006 , 6:07am by lastingmoments

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:07am
post #1 of 22

Since this is always such a big topic and a lot of people wonder how others charge for their cakes i thought i would create a "Pricing Poll" so we could see how the majority of us price our cakes. I know about the matrix and i also know it can be confusing.
What i will do is add up all the responses and post them in amounts of people that charge each way.

This is for all occasion cakes EXCEPT weddings.

Please let me know if i am missing a different way to price and i will add it to the list.

Please reply with one of the following and specify any details.

1. Cost of supplies x 3 or 2 or 2.5 (please specify what # you use)
2. A dollar amount per slice (please specify)
3. Cost of supplies + an hourly price (specify what you charge hourly)
4. Other (specify)

I know each area of the country is different but this will be fun to see what others do in their areas.

Let the cake pricing begin!! icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:28am
post #2 of 22

# 3

I modified the pricing matrix to accommodate a large shopping list for my scratch cakes. It does all the work for me:

*Cost of ingredients
*Equipment ware
*Cost of 'purchased items' (cake boards, boxes, disposable piping bags etc.)
*Hourly rate (I modified the hours the matrix think I work on a cake to match my actual speed. And charge roughly $8/hr as that is was a starting cook in my area makes.)

it takes all these factors and gives me a total price as well a price per slice.

Right now most of my cakes are coming out to less than $2 a slice (average around $1.50), but significantly more than supermarket cakes, but I do a lot more decorations, and have a lot of specialized flavors, so it's usually worth it.

When I bake for family or close friends I subtract my hourly wage and only charge supplies.

Darra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darra Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:41am
post #3 of 22

cost of supplies x3

just seems fair, i guess. all my cakes are from scratch and sometimes i even have to make my own piping gel, simple syrup (to replace karo syrup), etc. so if i had to charge an hourly rate for my labor i would end up with a really expensive cake.

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:43am
post #4 of 22

I charge $1.00 a slice for regular cakes, $1.15 if they are non-wedding cakes that require me to put anything together (extra cake on top, etc.) and $1.50 per slice for wedding cakes. I add $5.00 per cake extra for cream cheese icing or german chocolate cake.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:45am
post #5 of 22

$2.50 per slice for basic cakes..meaning buttercream filling and frosting. I bake from scratch and make my own buttercreams...curds...mousse...

Then I go from there...depending upon the amount of decorations they want..what kind of fillings.....that sort of thing. I don't do buttercream flowers..only gumpaste.

Ganache covered cakes are $3.00 per slice.

Average cake usually comes to about $3.00 per slice.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:48am
post #6 of 22

I suppose I do #2

I charge $1.25 a slice for my cakes any design fondant buttercream etc...... but no matter how small never less than $25.00

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:54am
post #7 of 22

I wish my market would support $3.00 a slice for a cake! One time I had a lady call on Friday for a cake on Saturday (a two tier- like a small wedding cake)...duh...I said I could do it for $60.00. It feed 36 people. Still less than $2.00 a slice. She complained non-stop, only called me back when she realized even Walmart wouldn't do one on such short notice. I don't know how many times she said it wasn't worth that! Whatever... my point is I wish I could charge $3.00 (even $2.00) a serving.

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:15am
post #8 of 22

For anything other than a simple sheet cake (which I do for $60)

$3/slice for basic cake w/ buttercream frosting/filling
$5/slice for anything that involved fondant/mousse/curd

And then I sort of modify depending on what the actual order is...

I make everything from scratch, and try to use top quality ingredients (imported chocolate, organic fruit) as much as possible.

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:17am
post #9 of 22

Oops, I didnt mean to hit send yet.

I do not include an 'hourly rate' per se, but if somebody wants a more labor intensive cake, I kick the price up to that.

For instance, the baby shower cake (butterflies/flowers) was $8/slice because of the number of handmade chocolate pieces and the fillings (raspberry mousse and lemon curd)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:19am
post #10 of 22

Basic sheet or round cakes are under $2/serving.

Wedding cakes start at $2/serving for basic, and go up.

3D/sculpted cakes $3-$4/serving, generally.

I usually sort of guess, depending on how hard I feel the cake will be. Since I usually am asked to do 3D cakes I have to estimate my time because that is what I get paid for, not really fancy ingredients. I try to profit about $10/hour but that is a very loose estimate and doesn't always get there.

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:24am
post #11 of 22

cost of supplies times 3 to 4. Depends on how difficult the cake is. I make all my cakes from scratch and I specilize in fondant figures. There is no way I could charge per hour.

I have never realy even kept track of how long it takes me. I mold a little, stop, come back to it, in between caring for a baby...Bake a little, etc...
I have no idea how long my cakes take. I just love doing it. I can get lost in it, and seem to loose all sense of time.....

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:04am
post #12 of 22

well, I go w/# 2....price per serving.

Any cake but Wedding, Groom's, or 3D Cakes start at $1.50 per serving and will get you, cake (3 layers), filling (2 layers), BC icing, and either BC icing decorations or Royal Icing. A fondant covered cake will start at $2.50 per serving.

3D cakes start at $35 dollars!!

I charge anywhere from $0.25 - $1.00 per serving for fondant decorations. Depends on amount and/or difficulty!! Bows, and other modeled figures start at $15. (This is actually the most popular option, so most of my cakes are going for about $2 per serving).

Wedding Cakes start at $2.50 for BC & simple border & decorations. $3.50 for Fondant covered cake.

I'm a little on the high side for my area, but I also offer alot more than the average bakery......so I'm keeping busy!!!

Christine

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:11am
post #13 of 22

I charge 3 x the cost, but I dont do any cakes under $100AU(US$74)
so i will add extra bits and pieces to bring the price up.
Nati

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:40pm
post #14 of 22

My basic prices (2 tier cakes with filling and basic buttercream decoration) are supplies x 3, then I add extra for fondant, flowers, intricate piping extra.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:51pm
post #15 of 22

I have to go with the market. I use cake mixes and "enhancers", but the cost is relatively low. But if I go too much higher than say Wal-mart or Harris Teeter, many won't pay for it. I sell 1/4 sheet cake for $20 and do most of the designs by hand. An 8" double layer usually goes for $15, with simple decorations. I wish I could charge by the slice!!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:00pm
post #16 of 22

I'd charge by the slice for a wedding or other tiered cake. Since I'm not real experienced my prices start at about $1.75 per slice. As I get a few more cakes under my belt I'll jump to $2.00, then maybe $2.50 as my skills get even better. icon_rolleyes.gif

For any other cake my price is usually about 2.5 times my cost, but not always, sometimes it's only 2X. I don't have hard rules about what to charge, especially on anything other than a sheetcake. For sheetcakes I'm currently asking as a base price: $27 for an 11"x15", $33 for a 12"X18", and $45 for a full sheet. Extra work or ingredients will increase the price. icon_wink.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:31pm
post #17 of 22

well I guess I use #4

I charge per cake and the amount of people it feeds etc..

I charge $35.00 for my character cakes and 9x13 slabs.$55.00 for 3D cakes.$4.00-5.00 for cookies baked,decorated and bagged and tied with curly ribbon.If I am doing a larger 11x15 I will charge $48.00.Anything larger like a small wedding cake and the price goes up from there along with 3D Castle cakes and larger.I also use cake mixes which keeps my costs down too.I have tried using the matrix but get confused!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:47pm
post #18 of 22

$65.00 for my Barbies

$65.00 and up for 3D Winnies

$75.00 for bassinettes

$45.00 and up for sheets (11x15)

$35.00 and up for rounds (sizes)

I don't get into the slice sizes because of different agreements on how many slices per pan.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 6:41pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDreams

Please let me know if i am missing a different way to price and i will add it to the list.

Please reply with one of the following and specify any details.

1. Cost of supplies x 3 or 2 or 2.5 (please specify what # you use)
2. A dollar amount per slice (please specify)
3. Cost of supplies + an hourly price (specify what you charge hourly)
4. Other (specify)

1. If I use this method, I usually charge 2 to 2.5.
2. This is the method I usually use and my base price is $1.50, but with different choices the price changes
3. I do not figure my hourly price in at this time, because I do work out of my home, by myself. When I get a legal kitchen and can hire a person to help me, I will factor in Overhead.
4. I do make cakes just for cost. These cakes are only offered to girls that are getting married that attend the church I attend. I also make cake for my church for all occasions for cost as well.
5. I do have a few people that I make cakes for that I charge cost plus 10.00 to 20.00.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 11:07pm
post #20 of 22

I go by a % of my costs usually 3.5% and up and try to make it around $1.50 per slice on average. Most everything I do is in buttercream.

KimAZ

toddsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toddsgirl Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 1:33am
post #21 of 22

mikaza - I looked at the baby shower cake in your gallery and it is very nice. I am just wondering where you are located that you could get $8 a slice. In the gallery it said that cake served about 200 people which would make it $1600. I know I could never get that where I am. You did a very good job on the cake.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 6:07am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsgirl

mikaza - I looked at the baby shower cake in your gallery and it is very nice. I am just wondering where you are located that you could get $8 a slice. In the gallery it said that cake served about 200 people which would make it $1600. I know I could never get that where I am. You did a very good job on the cake.

fast math ..... wow im curious also .....I just wish i could charge 1600.00.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%